Site Location: 9850 Furnace Rd, Fairfax, VA
Site Phone Number: 703-690-1703, TTY 711
Main Office Number: 703-324-5230, TTY 711
The administration building contains the offices of those persons
responsible for the management of the landfill.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE I-95 LANDFILL COMPLEX:
- Regional operations began in 1973. Fairfax County assumed control in 1982, and continues to operate the complex.
- The Landfill ceased accepting municipal solid waste (MSW) for land placement in December 1995. The only waste product presently buried is ash from municipal waste incinerators.
- Facility land is owned by Fairfax County. However, a memorandum of understanding between jurisdictions establishes the present landfill site.
- Landfill facility size: Approximately 300 acres, although only 220 acres were used for municipal solid waste.
- Total tons accepted to date: Over 22 million tons of municipal solid waste and 6.7 million tons of ash.
- Landfill Capping (closure of previously used areas) began in 1992. The work was completed during 2007. Capping has involved placing a complex geomembrane (LDPE) cap or low permeability soil and drainage layers over 260 acres of the site. To date over $35 million has been spent to complete this work.
- The Facility operates with approximately 38 employees, including technical support staff.
- The Landfill is required to have State Certified Facility Operators during operating hours.
- Twenty-two groundwater monitoring wells at the facility are monitored for Assessment Monitoring Parameters, which includes 215 separate constituents. This monitoring is performed semiannually.
- Nearly 350 methane extraction system wells are used to collect landfill gas. The gas is used to generate electricity on site, to heat workspaces, or is sent to the Noman M. Cole, Jr. Pollution Control Plant where it is used in the sludge combustion process.
- Uses best management practices for stormwater management on site.
- Boasts good standing with the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality concerning regulatory requirements and compliance.