Celebrated Trees of Fairfax County
Nominate a Tree
You’ve climbed them, relaxed in their shade, plucked their fruit and planted them in honor of loved ones. Join the Fairfax County Tree Commission to celebrate the county’s trees by nominating a tree.
Celebrate our county’s trees by nominating a tree in one or more of the four following categories. Click on the category name to open the nomination form (DOC file), and follow the directions below to submit your nomination.
- Big Tree: A tree that is one of the largest of its species (on a county, state or national scale).
Tree: A tree associated with a significant
event, person, landmark or institution.
Tree: A tree or group of trees planted as a
memorial of an event or person.
- Favorite Tree: Any favorite tree (only one nomination per person accepted).
All eligible trees will receive an honorary designation as a
Celebrated Tree of Fairfax County and be recorded in a county
Guidelines for Nominating a Tree
- Only trees in Fairfax County may be nominated.
- Native trees, and non-native species that are not invasive, may be nominated.
- Nominators do not need to identify a tree species in order to submit a nomination, but nominations of invasive tree species will not be accepted. For a list of invasive species, visit the Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation.
- Nominations may be submitted any time of year. Celebrated Trees is an ongoing project.
How to Submit Your Nomination
- Please include as much information as you can about your tree, including GPS coordinates or a description of the location of the tree you are nominating.
- Consider submitting a photograph of your nominated tree. Along with eligible nominations, these photos will be added into the county database. Feel free to include yourself in the photo!
Nomination forms can be submitted in two ways:
- By Email: Fill out the form on your computer, and save the completed form. Send your nomination to: email@example.com. Be sure to attach the nomination form, any digital photographs of your nomination, and supporting documentation (if necessary) to your email. We prefer that you send your nomination by this method, as it is easier to process and store your information.
- By Postal Mail: Fill out your form electronically or by hand. Include your form, any hard copy photographs supporting the nomination, and supporting documentation, and mail to:
Fairfax County Tree Commission
c/o Urban Forest Management Division
12055 Government Center Pkwy, Suite 518
Fairfax VA 22035
- All hard copy nomination forms, photographs and supporting documentation will be retained. Please ensure that you have copies if you are intending to send in your nomination by postal mail.
What Happens To Your Nomination
- All nominations will be reviewed by volunteers from the Fairfax County Tree Commission and Urban Forest Management Division. Depending on the volume of nominations received at any given time, this may take some time.
- Eligible trees will receive an honorary designation as a Celebrated Tree of Fairfax County, and will be included in a county database (currently under development), which will be accessible through the county website.
- Nominations accepted as “Big Trees” will also be submitted for consideration in the Virginia Big Tree Program.
Protect Celebrated Trees
It is possible to legally protect a Celebrated Tree or any other tree from being cut down. Heritage, memorial, specimen and street trees may be protected under Fairfax County’s Tree Preservation Ordinance. Any individual or group may nominate a tree for preservation.