Septic/Portable Toilet Waste Disposal
Fairfax County accepts septage waste at the Noman M. Cole, Jr. Pollution Control Plant and the Colvin Run Septage Receiving Site from haulers licensed by the Fairfax County Health Department. Septage is defined as either a liquid or solid material removed from a septic tank, cesspool, portable toilet or similar device that receives only domestic sewage. Restaurant grease trap waste and landfill leachate may be accepted after review. Hauled industrial wastes are prohibited. Deodorizer and sanitizer products containing formaldehyde or 1,4-dichlorobenzene are not allowed.
- Only wastes generated within Fairfax County, the Towns of Clifton, Herndon and Vienna, and the Cities of Fairfax and Falls Church will be accepted.
- Discharge of wastes from septic tanks, portable toilets, restaurant grease interceptors and landfill leachate may be accepted after review of waste characteristics. Discharge of other types of waste is illegal unless specifically approved.
- Only currently licensed sewage handlers or specially authorized haulers will be permitted to use the disposal locations. Gate cards issued by Fairfax County are necessary to enter and exit both the plant and septage disposal facility.
Approved Disposal Sites
- Noman M. Cole Jr. Pollution Control Plant - Procedures | Map
- Colvin Run Septage Receiving Site - Procedures | Map