Find out about different types of noise and who to contact to make a complaint about airport-related noise, or possible violations of the county's Noise Ordinance. 

Who to Contact

For questions, concerns or complaints about noise:  

General Noise

  • The Department of Code Compliance (DCC) investigates complaints of noise when it is regulated by decibel level and/or when the noise occurs on a regularly occurring basis, such that it can be identified during a scheduled inspection. DCC is not "on call" to respond to noise complaints, but schedules an inspection within a few days of the complaint.

    If a noise violation is found, DCC issues a Notice of Violation, which provides responsible parties with a certain timeline to comply. Failure to comply with a Notice of Violation could result in legal action to seek civil penalties or injunctive relief.

    To make a complaint to DCC, call 703-324-1300, TTY 711.Airport Noise

  • The Police Department investigates complaints of noise from animals, people, motor vehicles and/or instruments (which includes any device which produces or amplifies sound, such as a radio) that is plainly audible and discernable in any other person’s residential dwelling with the doors and windows closed. The Police Department can also respond to complaints regarding noise occurring at a prohibited time of day. But, unlike DCC, the Police can respond to noise a noise complaint while the noise is occurring, such as at night, early morning, and the weekends. The Police Department does not respond to complaints regarding noise regulated by decibel level.

    If a noise violation is found, the responsible party will be notified of the violation and directed to comply. Failure to comply could result in criminal prosecution.

    To make a complaint to the Police Department, call the non-emergency number, 703-691-2131, TTY 711.
  • The Department of Public Works and Environmental Services (DPWES) investigates complaints concerning trash pick-up outside of the allowable hours.  If a trash or recycling truck is loading or unloading materials in your residential neighborhood before 6 a.m. or after 9 p.m., they are in violation.

    To make a complaint to DPWES, call 703-324-5230, TTY 711 during office hours   (8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday - Friday).  If possible have information about the truck such as company, color, truck number, license plate number, etc.

The Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority operates 24-hour noise complaint telephone centers for both
Ronald Reagan Washington  National Airport and Washington Dulles International Airport.  In addition, complaints may be registered on-line through the Airport Authority's Airscene system:

If you are unsure of the source of the noise, call either of the above numbers.

Other Resources

Noise basics

Fairfax County Noise Ordinance (Chapter 108.1 of the Fairfax County Code)

Comprehensive Plan Policy

Airport Noise Contours

Fairfax County Airport Noise Impact Overlay District (PDF - page 24)

Fairfax County Airports Advisory Committee

Federal Aviation Administration

Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority   

Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments

Virginia Department of Transportation

Federal Highway Administration


Contact Fairfax County: Phone, Email or Twitter | Main Address: 12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax, VA 22035
Technical Questions: Web Administrator

ADA Accessibility | Website Accessibility
Awards | FOIA | Mobile | Using this Site | Web Disclaimer & Privacy Policy | Get Adobe Reader
Official site of the County of Fairfax, Virginia, © Copyright 2017

Website Feedback Website Feedback    Globe with various flags representing Web site language translations   Language Translations

Return to Graphic Version