Find out about different types of noise and who to contact to make a complaint about airport-related noise, or possible violations of the county's Noise Ordinance.
Who to Contact
For questions, concerns or complaints about noise:
The Department of Code Compliance (DCC) investigates complaints of
noise when it is regulated by decibel level and/or when the noise
occurs on a regularly occurring basis, such that it can be identified
during a scheduled inspection. DCC is not "on call" to
respond to noise complaints, but schedules an inspection within a few
days of the complaint.
If a noise violation is found, DCC issues a Notice of Violation, which provides responsible parties with a certain timeline to comply. Failure to comply with a Notice of Violation could result in legal action to seek civil penalties or injunctive relief.
To make a complaint to DCC, call 703-324-1300, TTY 711.
The Police Department investigates complaints of noise from animals,
people, motor vehicles and/or instruments (which includes any device
which produces or amplifies sound, such as a radio) that is plainly
audible and discernable in any other personâ€™s residential dwelling
with the doors and windows closed. The Police Department can also
respond to complaints regarding noise occurring at a prohibited time
of day. But, unlike DCC, the Police can respond to noise a noise
complaint while the noise is occurring, such as at night, early
morning, and the weekends. The Police Department does not respond to
complaints regarding noise regulated by decibel level.
If a noise violation is found, the responsible party will be notified of the violation and directed to comply. Failure to comply could result in criminal prosecution.
To make a complaint to the Police Department, call the non-emergency number, 703-691-2131, TTY 711.
The Department of Public Works and Environmental Services (DPWES)
investigates complaints concerning trash pick-up outside of the
allowable hours. If a trash or recycling truck is loading or
unloading materials in your residential neighborhood before 6 a.m. or
after 9 p.m., they are in violation.
To make a complaint to DPWES, call 703-324-5230, TTY 711 during office hours (8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday - Friday). If possible have information about the truck such as company, color, truck number, license plate number, etc.
The Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority operates 24-hour noise complaint telephone centers for both Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport and Washington Dulles International Airport. In addition, complaints may be registered on-line through the Airport Authority's Airscene system:
- Washington Dulles International Airport complaints: 703-572-8215 or MWAA's website for Dulles Airport
- Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport complaints: 703-417-8020 or MWAA's website for Reagan National Airport
If you are unsure of the source of the noise, call either of the above numbers.
Fairfax County Airport Noise Impact Overlay District (PDF - page 24)
- Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport--Aircraft Noise
- Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport--WebTrak--Flight Track and Noise Public Portal
- Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport--Community Noise Working Group
- Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport--Aircraft Procedures and Guidelines
- Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport--High Density (Slot) Rule and Perimeter Rule
Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport--Nighttime
- Washington Dulles International Airport--Aircraft Noise
- Washington Dulles International Airport--WebTrak--Flight Track and Noise Public Portal
- Highway Traffic and Construction Noise - Regulation and Guidance
- Highway Traffic Noise
- Noise Barriers