When are Wetlands Permits Required?

When are permits required?   |   What type of permits may be needed?  |  How do I apply for a wetlands permit?  
Sources for additional information about permitting  |  Glossary of terms

WetlandsYou will need permits to conduct any construction on the shoreline or at the water’s edge before you begin work. Make certain that the contractor you choose to help you with your project is licensed to work in the County.

The following activities may result in land disturbance. Land disturbances and related construction activities often require a permit if done in an area that is a tidal wetland or is in an area adjacent to a tidal wetland. The following types of land disturbing activities and construction projects will require permits:

  • Any construction project on, over or adjacent to a tidal body of water.
  • Any project in which fill material is placed in or near wetlands such as riprap.
  • Construction of bridges, tunnels or roads which may have an impact on wetlands, either tidal or non-tidal
  • Projects designed to protect shorelines in order to minimize erosion such as bulkheads.



Contact Fairfax County: Phone, Email or Twitter | Main Address: 12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax, VA 22035
Technical Questions: Web Administrator

ADA Accessibility | Website Accessibility
Awards | FOIA | Mobile | Using this Site | Web Disclaimer & Privacy Policy | Get Adobe Reader
Official site of the County of Fairfax, Virginia, © Copyright 2015

Website Feedback Website Feedback    Globe with various flags representing Web site language translations   Language Translations

Return to Graphic Version