Environmental Excellence Awards
The Fairfax County Environmental Excellence Awards recognize county residents, organizations, businesses and county employees who dedicate time and energy to benefit the environment and support county environmental initiatives. Award recipients are selected based on their:
- Advancement or support of the Board of Supervisors and county's environmental goals and policy statements
- Dedication of personal time and expertise beyond normal fiscal or civic responsibilities
- Leadership as a role model for others.
To see a list of past recipients, look at the awards web page.
2013 Award Nominations
Nominations are due May 31, 2013. You may submit more than one nominiation, as well as in multiple categories. For examples of successful nominations, see the 2012 awards web page.
Awards will be presented by the Board of Supervisors in the fall.
Nominees must have:
- Clearly contributed to the advancement and support of county environmental goals by devoting time, effort, or expertise beyond normal work / civic responsibilities and expectations.
- Serve as a model for individuals and communities to follow.
- Contributed to a specific service, accomplishment or an accumulation of accomplishments.
A nominee's achievement(s) must have occurred between June 1, 2012 to May 31, 2013 — or over several years that includes a portion of this timeframe.
- The nominator must notify the nominee(s) of their nomination.
- Separate nomination forms must be used for each nomination. Forms may be copied.
- Include a statement of up to two pages in length describing the contribution, with details of the nominee’s role and the extent to which the contribution has benefited Fairfax County.
- Include supporting evidence that shows the worth of the contribution in terms of results achieved or the potential for future results and how the contribution was extraordinary or unusual. This evidence need not be extensive or complicated—a simple discussion would suffice.
- Optional: Include up to three supportive exhibits, such as testimonials, news articles, photographs, resumes and biographical documents. The exhibits must be reproducible.