Fairfax Forward - Background
The effort resulted from the 2011 Area Plans Review Retrospective, an evaluation of the regular cycle of Comprehensive Plan review (the Area Plans Review process). The results indicated minor changes to the existing process would not address recurring issues and a more substantial change should occur.
Board of Supervisors’ Action
On July 9, 2013 the Board of Supervisors held a public hearing on Fairfax Forward. The Board acted to:
- Adopt the revised Comprehensive Plan review process, as outlined in the Fairfax Forward Staff Report dated February 20, 2013, subsequent Addendum dated April 3, 2013, and Board item dated July 9, 2013, and the Pilot Comprehensive Plan Amendment Work Program as a formal test of program operations,
- Direct staff to measure the efficiency, effectiveness, accessibility, and impact of the new process and the Pilot Work Program after two years of program operations,
- Direct staff to develop a formal process to gather proposals for Plan amendments received outside of the work program, and
- Rescind a number of outstanding Board-authorized amendments (Plan Amendment S11-CW-5CP also was rescinded).
Planning Commission Public Hearing and Recommendation
On April 3, 2013, the Planning Commission made a recommendation to the Board of Supervisors on Fairfax Forward. The Planning Commission public hearing was held on March 27, 2013. Watch the March 27th and the April 3rd Planning Commission meetings.
The schedule for Fairfax Forward was as follows:
- Spring 2012: Initial meetings with Planning Commission and Board of Supervisors; development of preliminary recommendations
- Summer/Fall 2012: Public outreach meetings
- December 2012-January 2013: Publication of preliminary recommendations; public comment period
- February 2013: Final staff recommendations
- March 2013: Planning Commission public hearing
- June 2013: Board of Supervisors' Development Process Committee meeting
- July 2013: Board of Supervisors public hearing