Dranesville Tavern



Historic Preservation Act at 50

Fairfax County Celebrates the 50th Anniversary of the National Historic Preservation Act

Located adjacent to Leesburg Pike, Route 7, near the intersection with the Fairfax County Parkway, the tavern was known as the Jackson Hotel during the 1850s. Dranesville Tavern as it now stands is the product of three distinct building periods which gives us insight into 19th century vernacular architectural. The earliest structural components of the tavern date from about 1830. During its early days, the tavern was associated with the turnpike trade and frequented by travelers between the eastern cities of Alexandria and Georgetown to the western town of Leesburg. On heavily travelled turnpikes, there were usually three types of taverns, each serving a specialized need of the traffic. Because it catered largely to teamsters, Dranesville Tavern belongs to the type of taverns known as wagon stands. In May 1968, Dranesville Tavern was acquired by the Fairfax County Park Authority and was moved about 100 feet to the south to accommodate the widening of the Leesburg Pike. (From the National Register Form prepared by Virginia Historic Landmarks Commission Staff.)

(From the National Register Form prepared by Virginia Historic Landmarks Commission Staff)

 


Contact Fairfax County: Phone, Email or Twitter | Main Address: 12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax, VA 22035
Technical Questions: Web Administrator

ADA Accessibility | Website Accessibility
Awards | FOIA | Mobile | Using this Site | Web Disclaimer & Privacy Policy | Get Adobe Reader
Official site of the County of Fairfax, Virginia, © Copyright 2015

Website Feedback Website Feedback    Globe with various flags representing Web site language translations   Language Translations

Return to Graphic Version