Historic Overlay Districts
The maps on this page are in portable document format (PDF). You will need Adobe Reader to view or print PDF files. Many of these maps are over 1 MB in size. Please allow additional time for files to load at slower connection speeds.
A county map showing all thirteen Historic Overlay Districts in Fairfax County. Detailed maps for each individual district are listed below.
Statement of Purpose and Intent of Historic Overlay Districts
Historic Overlay Districts are created for the purpose of promoting the general welfare, education, and recreational pleasure of the public, through the perpetuation of those general areas or individual structures and premises that have been officially designated by the Board of Supervisors as having historic, architectural, or cultural significance.
Regulations within such districts are intended to protect against destruction of or encroachment upon such areas, structures, and premises; to encourage uses which will lead to their continuance, conservation, and improvement in a manner appropriate to the preservation of the cultural, social, economic, political, architectural, or archaeological heritage of the County; to prevent creation of environmental influences adverse to such purposes; and to assure that new structures and uses within such districts will be in keeping with the character to be preserved and enhanced.
Historic Overlay Districts in Fairfax County, and the year they were established by the Board of Supervisors, include:
BULL RUN STONE BRIDGE - Located on the grounds of Manassas National Battlefield Park, the stone arch bridge over Bull Run was a strategic crossing point during the two major Civil War battles fought nearby. Established 1972
CENTREVILLE - This crossroads village developed in the late eighteenth century and was occupied by both Union and Confederate troops during the Civil War. Established 1986
COLVIN RUN MILL - The mill, built in the 1820s, and the surrounding buildings were an active part of the agricultural economy of Fairfax County throughout the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Established 1972
DRANESVILLE TAVERN - The tavern, built in the 1830s, was a popular stopping place for those traveling the busy Leesburg and Georgetown Pikes during the nineteenth and twentieth centuries until its closing in 1968. Established 1972
HUNTLEY - The house was built about 1820 for Thomson F. Mason, grandson of George Mason. Established 1976
LAKE ANNE VILLAGE CENTER - This award-winning cluster of residential and commercial structures was the heart of the Reston community when constructed in the mid-1960s. Established 1984
LANGLEY FORK - This crossroads village includes residential, school, and church structures dating from the early nineteenth century. Established 1980
MOUNT AIR - The main house, built about 1830, was lost to fire in 1992, but the outbuildings and landscaped grounds remain. Established 1984
POHICK CHURCH - The building was constructed between 1762 and 1772, with the first use of the building in the latter year. Both George Mason and George Washington had pews and attended services at Pohick Church. Established 1970
ROBEY’S MILL - The house and mill were built in the mid-nineteenth century. The mill served local farmers until 1906. Established 1980
ST. MARY’S CHURCH - The first Roman Catholic church in Fairfax County was built in 1858. It was used by Clara Barton as a hospital after the Civil War battles of Second Manassas and Chantilly. The district includes portions of the nineteenth century railroad community of Fairfax Station. Established 1972
SULLY - The plantation house was built in 1794 for Richard Bland Lee who was the first U.S. congressman from Northern Virginia. He was also the uncle of Robert E. Lee. Established 1970
WOODLAWN PLANTATION AND THE POPE/LEIGHEY HOUSE - Woodlawn was built in 1805 on land owned by George Washington. The property was given by Washington as a wedding gift to his nephew Lawrence Lewis. The district also includes the Woodlawn Friends Meeting House of about 1853, the Washington Grist Mill reconstructed in 1932, and the Pope/Leighey house designed in1942 by Frank Lloyd Wright and moved to the site in 1964. Established 1971