Zoning Application Process - Rezoning, Special Exception, Special Permit and Variance Applications
Documents and Resources
The Zoning Evaluation Division of the Department of Planning and Zoning reviews applications for rezoning or other zoning actions. Choose a subject below for additional information on the process.
- Development Process/General Overview
- Application Acceptance
- Application Packages and Forms
- Glossary of Terms
- For questions relating to the zoning processes, you may reach the Planner of the Day at 703-324-1290, TTY 711.
- For questions relating to Site Plan or engineering/grading processes, you may reach the Engineer of the Day with the Department of Public Works and Environmental Management 703-324-1575, TTY 711
- For a general overview of the development process as it relates to Places of Worship and Non-Profit organizations see "Development Process/General Overview" below.
We are also available to meet with you personally if it is determined that you require a Pre-Application Meeting. To determine if a Pre-Application meeting is required call the Zoning Evaluation Division at 703-324-1290, TTY 711.
(You may also find the information contained in the following brochures to be helpful.)
- Commercial Revitalization Brochure (PDF)
- Guide to the Development Process for Projects Requiring a Special Permit or Special Exception
- Rezoning Process, An Overview of the Fairfax County Rezoning Process (PDF)
- Pre-Application Meeting Questionnaire (To be completed and submitted as directed if it is determined that a pre-application meeting is required).