Food Truck Vendors in Fairfax County
- Food trucks may sell food while parked along selected streets in Fairfax County. Contact the Health Department to find out where street sales are currently allowed.
- Food trucks may park on and vend from private property (office parks, shopping centers, etc.) only when the property owner and the food truck have obtained permits from the Department of Planning and Zoning.
- Food trucks may vend in selected Fairfax County parks provided that the vendor obtains a Mobile Food Vendor Permit from the Fairfax County Park Authority.
Permits and Licenses
Before vending in Fairfax County, food truck businesses must first obtain the necessary permits and licenses. These steps should be followed to ensure that the business has complied with all applicable regulations before operating in Fairfax County.
Step 1: Locating your Business
Food Trucks may vend only at an approved private property or at a Fairfax County Park and must obtain Zoning or Park Authority approval.
To vend on private property, food trucks must obtain permits from the Department of Planning and Zoning, Zoning Administration Division. Applicants should contact the Zoning Administration Division at 703-324-1314 for more information and an application form. The application forms are also available online below. The Zoning Administration Division is located at 12055 Government Center Parkway, Suite 807, Fairfax, Virginia 22035. Both the property where food trucks operate and each food truck operating from an approved property are required to have permits issued by Zoning Administration Division.
Food Truck Location Permit (Issued to private property owner or the owner's authorized agent) Food Truck Location Permit Application Form
- Food trucks may operate only from commercial or industrial-zoned property, provided the property owner or authorized agent has first obtained a Food Truck Location Permit. Food Truck Location Permits may be issued to properties with a principal use consisting of a minimum of 25,000 square feet of gross floor area or on a construction site with an active building permit and on-going construction activity. The permit fee is $100.
Food Truck Operation Permit (Issued to food truck owner or operator) Food Truck Operation Permit Application Form
- Food truck operators are required to obtain an annual Food Truck Permit. Applicant must submit the written consent of the private property owner or the owner's authorized agent authorizing the food truck to be located on their approved food truck location, and a copy of the property owner's food truck location permit. The permit fee is $100.
Park Authority Approval:
To vend in a Fairfax County Park, food trucks must obtain a Mobile Food Vendor Permit. The Park Authority allows selected food trucks to work in designated Fairfax County parks provided the truck has been issued a Mobile Food Vendor Permit. To apply, contact the Park Authority, Park Services Division - Mobile Food Vending located at 12055 Government Center Parkway, Suite 927, Fairfax, Virginia 22035. Additional information and the application can be found online at http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/mobile-vending.htm. Permits are awarded on a competitive basis. Applicants are not guaranteed that they will be awarded a permit.
The Park Authority requires the following to apply for a Mobile Food Vendor Permit:
- Food Establishment Permit from the Health Department; and
Application fee of $150.
Step 2: Permitting
The following permits must be obtained by a food truck operator before vending in the county:
Health Department Permit:
Food trucks must obtain a Food Establishment Permit from the Fairfax County Health Department. Applications are accepted by mail or in person at 10777 Main Street, Suite 111, Fairfax, Virginia 22030. Contact the Food Safety Section at 703-246-2444. Applications and additional information are available online at http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/hd/food/.
The Food Safety Section requires the following to apply for a Food Establishment Permit for a food truck:
- Completed Food Establishment Permit application;
- Plans and specifications for the food truck;
- Current list of all individuals who will work on the food truck and proof of a Certified Food Manager Card for each person;
- Inspection of food truck (mobile food unit) scheduled or completed; and
- Application fee of $40.
Food truck employees must obtain a Solicitors License from the Department of Cable and Consumer Services, Regulation and Licensing Branch located at 12000 Government Center Parkway, Suite 127, Fairfax, Virginia 22035.
The Regulation and Licensing Branch requires the following from food truck employees to apply for a solicitor's license:
- Completed application;
- Two forms of valid identification, including Proof of US citizenship, Limited Permanent Resident or Employment Authorization Card (when applicant was born outside of the US);
- Fairfax County Food Establishment Permit from the Health Department;
Food Truck Permit from the Department of Planning and Zoning
showing approval of vending location(s) in the county;
a Fairfax County Park Authority Mobile Food Vendor Permit; or
Current Virginia Department of Transportation Land Use Permit for Mobile Food Vending (LUP-MFV).
Application fee of $35.
A solicitor's license is required for each employee who interacts with the customers. Contact the Regulation and Licensing Branch at (703) 324-5966 for more information or visit their website at http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/consumer/regulation_and_licensing/ to download an application.