Home Child Care Facilities in Fairfax County
The extended grace period for currently licensed home child care providers who care for up to twelve (12) children to submit a complete Special Permit (SP) or Special Exception (SE) application to the Zoning Evaluation Division has expired. If a state licensed provider has not submitted a complete SP or SE application to the Zoning Evaluation Office by March 31, 2014, the provider is expected to come into compliance with the number of children permitted by right. (Maximum of seven in a single family detached house or five in a townhouse, apartment or mobile home. The provider's own children do not count towards the limit.) See clarification under Background Zoning Rules.
Please Note: If the provider currently has a SP or SE for fewer than 12 children, that approval remains in effect. Any SP or SE is valid only for the provider at the address identified on the application. If the provider changes residence a new Special Permit or Special Exception must be approved for the new address and the applicant prior to operating with more than the by-right number of children.
(The package has been revised to reflect the new filing fee approved with Zoning Ordinance Amendment ZO 14-144 for special exceptions and updated to clarify some submission requirements.)
At a minimum, the complete application packages must include the following 8 items. Links of examples are provided for :
1. Completed Special
Special Exception Application Form -
Sample - Completed Special Permit Form |
Sample - Completed Special Exception Form |
Sample - Tax Map Page
2. Plat of property with all structures - Sample - How to draw your plat
3. Fairfax County Zoning Map - Sample - Zoning Map
4. Photographs of the property, exterior and surrounding properties and interior of the home child care facility
- Sample Photographs ( Interior- photos of the area used for child care | Exterior - entire application property including structures & yard, immediately adjacent/surrounding properties and across the street)
5. Written Statement of Justification with drop-off and pick- up schedule and floor plan/layout of areas used for the home child facility Statement of Justification Form | Sample - Completed Statement of Justification
6. Notarized Affidavit* - Sample - Affidavit
(*Note - Any questions about the Affidavit should be directed to:
Jo Ellen Graves, Office of the Fairfax County Attorney, 12000 Government Center Parkway, Suite 549, Fairfax, VA 22035, Phone: 703-324-2421 | Fax: 703-324-3938)
7. Statement indicating who owns the property or Consent of Ownership form - Owner Consent Form
8. Check to County of Fairfax for $435.