Home Child Care Facilities in Fairfax County

Home Child Care Special Exceptions and Special Permits | Zoning Ordinance Information - Home Child CareBackground Information | State Licences and RenewalsContact Us


State License Renewals and New State License Applications

"Contact With Local Zoning Administrator" forms required for state license renewal or new applications should be sent to:

Fairfax County Zoning Administration Division
Ordinance Administration Branch
12055 Government Center Parkway, Suite 807
Fairfax, VA  22035

 These forms come with the State application materials and, once completed, they will be sent back to you.  Please provide all requested information, including an e-mail address and contact phone number, and please indicate if this is a renewal or new license request.

  • When signed by the County's zoning staff, any "Contact With Local Zoning Administrator" forms will note the current Fairfax County limitations/requirements on the form.
  • The extended grace period for currently licensed home child care providers who care for up to twelve (12) children to submit a complete Special Permit (SP) or Special Exception (SE) application to the Zoning Evaluation Division has expired. If a state licensed provider has not submitted a complete SP or SE application to the Zoning Evaluation Office by March 31, 2014, the provider is expected to come into compliance with the number of children permitted by right. (Maximum of seven in a single family detached house or five in a townhouse, apartment or mobile home. The provider's own children do not count towards the limit.) See clarification under Background Zoning Rules.
    (Please Note:  If the provider currently has a SP or SE for fewer than 12 children, that approval remains in effect. Any SP or SE is valid only for the provider at the address identified on the application. If the provider changes residence a new Special Permit or Special Exception must be approved for the new address and the applicant prior to operating with more than the by-right number of children.)
  • Applicants for new licenses are expected to comply with current County regulations regarding maximum numbers of children permitted to be cared for.
  • For other home child care rules and regulations, contact the Fairfax County Office for Children at 703-324-8000, TTY 711.
  • For questions or information regarding Zoning Requirements contact the Fairfax County Department of Planning and Zoning (Zoning Evaluation Division) at 703-324-1290, TTY 711

Contact Fairfax County: Phone, Email or Twitter | Main Address: 12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax, VA 22035
Technical Questions: Web Administrator

ADA Accessibility | Website Accessibility
Awards | FOIA | Mobile | Using this Site | Web Disclaimer & Privacy Policy | Get Adobe Reader
Official site of the County of Fairfax, Virginia, © Copyright 2015

Website Feedback Website Feedback    Globe with various flags representing Web site language translations   Language Translations

Return to Graphic Version