Noise Ordinance Amendment
New Noise Ordinance
Adopted on 11/17/15
On November 17, 2015, the Board of Supervisors adopted a new Noise Ordinance, repealed the existing Noise Ordinance, and repealed the Excessive Sound Generation in Residential Areas and Dwellings Ordinance. These amendments become effective on February 17, 2016. Until that time, the existing Chapter 108 and Article 6 of Chapter 5 remain in effect. The delayed effective date provides time for staff training, the update of relevant County websites, and the preparation of information items to assist staff in understanding the new regulations. The Board also directed staff to monitor the effectiveness and impact of the new Noise Ordinance for an 18-month period after its enactment.
The new Noise Ordinance is in response to the Board's request to review and revise the Noise Ordinance to better address the methodology used in noise measurements, consider the appropriateness of establishing daytime and nighttime noise levels to protect the community, and to add other objective criteria to regulate noise within Fairfax County. The overall goal of the new Noise Ordinance is to:
- Recognize that there will always be certain levels of noise that occur in the normal course of daily living;
- Allow certain levels of daytime noise so that people can live, work, and play during the day; and
- Minimize nighttime noise so residents have an appropriate quiet environment in their homes at night.
The overall framework of the new Noise Ordinance is to:
- Prohibit certain activities (prohibitions);
- Exclude certain activities from the Noise Ordinance (exceptions); and
- When not specifically prohibited or excepted, then activities or sources of sound would be subject to maximum decibel levels.
The above frameworks is further qualified by time, location, and duration limitations. A summary chart of the applicability of the New Noise Ordinance has been prepared.
- Adopted Chapter 108.1 (Noise Ordinance) - effective 2/17/16
- New Noise Ordinance Applicability Summary Chart
- Repealed Chapter 108 (Noise Ordinance) - effective on 2/17/16
- Repealed Article 6 of Chapter 5 (Excessive Sound Generation in Residential Areas and Dwellings
If you wish to speak with someone regarding this amendment, please contact the Ordinance Administration Branch of the Zoning Administration Division at 703-324-1314.