Non-Residential Use Permits (Non-RUP) Fairfax County


This publication outlines the certificate of use and occupancy requirements for commercial occupancies located in Fairfax County, however, does not apply in the towns of Clifton, Herndon, and Vienna. Section 61-1-2 of the Fairfax County Code specifies that a certificate of use and occupancy shall mean the permits described in the Fairfax County Zoning Ordinance, as amended, including but not limited to residential use permits and non-residential use permits.


In accordance with Section 18-701 of the County Zoning Ordinance, no occupancy or use shall be made of any structure or of any premises, and no change in use shall be permitted, unless and until a Non-Residential Use Permit (Non-RUP) has been approved in accordance with the provisions of the Zoning Ordinance. A Non-RUP shall be deemed to authorize and is required for both the initial and continued occupancy and use of the building or land to which it applies.


In accordance with Section 18-702 of the Fairfax County Zoning Ordinance, a Non-RUP shall be obtained from the Zoning Administrator before any person shall: 1) Occupy or use any building with the exception of accessory structures as permitted by Article 10 of the Zoning Ordinance and additions to existing structures which do not require site plan approval. 2) Change the use of any existing building. 3) Occupy or use any vacant land except for an agricultural use. 4) Make any change in the use of a nonconforming use. 5) Enlarge any use in a manner which would require an increase in the amount of required off-street parking spaces. 6) Continue any use after a change in the proprietorship of such use.


Application for a Non-RUP is best made in person at the Zoning Permit Review Branch (ZPRB) of the Department of Planning and Zoning. Applications may also be submitted by mail. In either case, applicants should contact the ZPRB to obtain an application and guidance regarding additional information that must be submitted with the application.

CALL: 703-222-1082

ZPRB HOURS: Monday-Thursday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday, 9:15 a.m. to 4 p.m.

GO TO: Herrity Building 2) Zoning Permit Review Branch, Suite 250 12055 Government Center Parkway Fairfax, VA 22035

Contact Fairfax County: Phone, Email or Twitter | Main Address: 12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax, VA 22035
Technical Questions: Web Administrator

ADA Accessibility | Website Accessibility
Awards | FOIA | Mobile | Using this Site | Web Disclaimer & Privacy Policy | Get Adobe Reader
Official site of the County of Fairfax, Virginia, © Copyright 2015

Website Feedback Website Feedback    Globe with various flags representing Web site language translations   Language Translations

Return to Graphic Version