All requests to
change the existing zoning designation of a parcel require the submission
of a rezoning application. Review the Conventional Application
Package for guidance related to proposals involving conventional
districts (R-1, R-5, C-2, C-8, I-5, etc.). Use the “P” District
Application Package if the development proposal involves land to be
located within one of the “P” Districts; Planned Development Housing
(PDH), Planned Development Commercial (PDC), Planned Residential
Community (PRC) or Planned Tysons Corner (PTC). These zoning
districts are available to encourage innovative and creative site design;
to provide ample and efficient use of open space; to promote a mix of
land uses and housing types and to allow flexibility to achieve
excellence in all aspects site development.
An overview of Fairfax County, Virginia’s Rezoning Process, from the time an application is filed, to the time of the Board of Supervisors Public Hearing.
- Application filed by Applicant
- Application submissions are reviewed. When all Zoning Ordinance submission requirements are met, the application is accepted and distributed to various county agencies.
- Application is scheduled for a Planning Commission Public Hearing and is assigned to a staff coordinator.
- Prestaffing of application. Applicant will be contacted by staff about initial staff comments.
- Revisions relating to prestaffing comments are submitted.
- Staffing of application. Applicant contacted by staff about final staff comments.
- Revisions relating to the staffing comments are submitted.
- Final submission deadline (6 weeks prior to Planning Commission Public Hearing). Staff report is published based on information received by this date.
- Notification to adjacent property owners sent to applicant 30 days prior to hearing. Notices mailed by Applicant postmarked at least 15 days prior to hearing.
- Staff report published (2 weeks prior to Public Hearing).
- Planning Commission Public Hearing.
- Application is scheduled for Board Of Supervisors Public Hearing
- Notification to adjacent property owners (sent to Applicant 30 days prior to hearing, notices mailed by Applicant postmarked at least 15 days prior to hearing).
- Board of Supervisors Public Hearing.