variance request (i.e. fence height, location of structures in relation
to property lines, increase in building height, lot width) require the
submission of the Variance application package.
An overview of Fairfax County, Virginia’s Variance Process, from the time an application is filed, to the time of the Board of Supervisors Public Hearing (90 days).
- Application is filed by the Applicant.
- Application submissions are reviewed. when all zoning ordinance submission requirements are met, applications are accepted (start of the 90 day process)
- Application is scheduled for public hearing, is assigned to a staff coordinator, and distributed to various county agencies.
The following four (4) steps apply only for lot subdivision and lot
width variances, not for yard, height or fence variances.
- Prestaffing of application. Applicant will be contacted by staff about initial staff comments.
- Revisions relating to prestaffing comments are submitted.
- Staffing of application. Applicant will be contacted by staff about final staff comments.
- Revisions relating to the staffing comments are submitted.
- Notification to adjacent property owners (sent to Applicant 40 days prior to hearing, notices mailed by Applicant postmarked at least 15 days prior to hearing). Instructions for Preparing Legal Notices for Board of Zoning Appeals Public Hearings.
- Final submission deadline (5 weeks prior to Board of Zoning Appeals Public Hearing. Staff report is published based on information received by this date).
- Staff report published (1 week prior to hearing).
- Board of Zoning Appeals Public Hearing.