Credit/Debit Card Payments (Car Tax)
Credit/Debit Card Information
- You may pay your Car Taxes over the Internet with your VISA, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express credit card.
- Payment is considered on-time as long as submission is made by the due date.
- The Department of Tax Administration (DTA) uses a third party processor, Govolution, to process credit and debit card payments via this website. Pursuant to Section 4-20-1 of the Fairfax County Code and in concert with credit card company by-laws, Govolution will charge a service fee of 2.5% on the total amount being paid for all American Express, Discover, Visa Credit Cards, MasterCard Credit/Debit Cards, or $3.95 for a Visa Debit Card. This is Govolution's service fee and does not represent revenue to Fairfax County.
- Pay now by Credit/Debit Card, or call 703-222-8234 for more information.
- You may also pay Car Taxes by credit/debit card over the telephone by calling 703-222-6740.
Important Note for Payment of Delinquent Taxes: The Fairfax County Department of Tax Administration (DTA) may have placed a 'Hold' against your DMV registration because of delinquent taxes. It may take up to 5 business days before your account is updated to reflect payments made to our credit card processor, Govolution.
- If you are paying well in advance of renewing your state vehicle registration, you can pay by credit/debit card and any existing DMV 'Hold' will be released automatically within one week of payment.
- If you need the immediate release of a DMV registration 'Hold', you may make payment by Credit/Debit Card now. However, you must also contact DTA after 24 hours to verify that your account is clear and obtain a release.
Remember, DTA must collect the $20 fee before a DMV 'Hold' can be
If you experience any problems, please call the Department of Tax Administration at 703-222-8234.