Pay Car Taxes and Registration Fees
Note: In order to complete a transaction, you will need the last 4 digits of your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) and property number as shown on your tax bill. If you do not have a bill with you, you will need your DMV Customer Number (on your driver’s license) and the last 4 digits of your vehicle’s VIN.
Use your online account to view/pay your bills online, change your mailing address, view your online payment history, and perform vehicle registrations/updates.
If you don't have time to register for an account right now, pay without logging in using one of our other online payment options:
Pay with Credit/Debit Card
(Third-party service fees apply.)
Pay with Checking
(No service fees apply.)
If you are paying your tax online, please note that the online payment page will timeout after 20 minutes of inactivity. For example, if you open the page and then become involved in another activity that keeps you off the page for 20 minutes, and then you go back to the online payment site it may seem to expire suddenly. If this happens before you have completed your transaction, you will need to re-input your information.
Pay using your
smartphone (iPhone | Android supported)
(Third-party service fees apply.)
- QR Code on Your Bill - Your bill has a QR (Quick Response) barcode printed on the top right-hand corner (above your amount due). Use the QR code reader on your smartphone to directly access the online tax payment site. Follow the simple directions. You will be able to see your current balance due and any prior year taxes due. A third-party service fee applies for paying with a debit or credit card.
- If using VISA, MasterCard, Discover or American Express, call 703-222-6740, TTY 711 (*24 hours a day/ 7 days a week*).
- Third-party service fees apply.
Send bill and checks only (no cash) payable to:
Fairfax County Department of Tax Administration
12000 Government Center Parkway, Suite 223
Fairfax, VA 22035
- Postmark must be by the due date to avoid late charges.
- Fairfax County Department of Tax Administration
- Send bill and checks only (no cash) payable to:
- 12000 Government Center Parkway, Suite 223, Fairfax, Va., 22035
- Weekdays 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.; open until 6:30 p.m. on Thursdays.
Extended hours begin Sept. 30, as follows:
- Saturday, Sept. 30 - open 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. (noon)
- Monday, Oct. 2 - Wednesday, Oct. 4 - open 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Thursday, Oct. 5 - open 8:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
Pay by check, cash, credit or debit card
Credit card (Third-party service fees
Shoppers Food & Pharmacy
Bring cash payments and bill to customer
service desk at
Shoppers Food & Pharmacy stores throughout Virginia.
$1.25 service fee applies.
- Bring cash payments and bill to customer service desk at Shoppers Food & Pharmacy stores throughout Virginia. $1.25 service fee applies.
- For Global Express locations, call 1-800-989-6669, option 3, then option 4. Only cash payments are accepted, and there is a $1.25 service fee by Global Express.
Fairfax County offers the option to prepay car taxes through
automatic installments debited electronically from your bank
- For more information, refer to our Automatic Installments - Frequently Asked Questions page, or contact our office.
- The Automatic Installment application form is now available for download from our website!
Late Payments and Returned Checks
Late Payment Notice:
There is a 10 percent penalty plus interest if full payment is not made by the due date. Penalty will increase to 25 percent on balances that remain past due more than 30 days. Late payments are subject to multiple collection actions and additional fees.
Returned Check Fee:
If a check is returned a $50 charge will be added and the payment is void.