Military and Overseas - FAQs

Am I a UOCAVA voter?

A UOCAVA voter is:

  • A member of the U.S. Military on active duty, an eligible spouse, or dependent.
  • A U.S. citizen temporarily residing outside the U.S.
  • A U.S. citizen overseas by virtue of employment or accompanying a spouse of dependents.

Click here to learn more about UOCAVA voting in Virginia.

If you are a UOCAVA voter:

You may use the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) to request an absentee ballot. The FPCA will sign you up to automatically receive absentee ballots for all elections for which you are eligible during a period of time covered by two Federal elections.

Can I register or vote in Fairfax County if stationed outside of the country on Election Day?

Yes, if your legal residence is in Fairfax County and you have not voted where you are stationed. More information.

I'm a civilian living outside the U.S. Can I register to vote in Fairfax County?

Yes, if:

  • You last lived in Fairfax County before moving overseas, and
  • You register using your Fairfax County address.

Read more here.

Are UOCAVA voters exempt from the deadline to register to vote?

Special registration deadlines apply to military and dependents in certain circumstances. 

Military members and dependents may register to vote after the registration deadline (even on Election Day) if they:

  • appear in person at the Office of Elections to fill out a voter registration application form; and
  • are a member of the uniformed services on active duty, or spouse or dependent residing with the service member, or
  • are temporarily living outside the United States; and
  • are normally absent from Fairfax County but returned during the 28 days prior to Election Day; or
  • are discharged from uniformed service the 60 days prior to Election Day.

Do UOCAVA voters have a special exemption from the deadline to request an absentee ballot?

No. Your application must be recieved in our office no later than 5:00 p.m. on the Tuesday before the election.

How do UOCAVA voters request an absentee ballot?

You may request an absentee ballot using the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA). (The FPCA acts as a voter registration application as well, if needed.) 

You are encouraged to submit an FPCA every year to keep your voter registration information and address up to date.

I’m worried I won’t receive my absentee ballot in time to return it before the deadline. What should I do?

You may vote using the Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot (FWAB) as a back-up ballot. It will substitute for your regular ballot if it is not received in time. (FWABs may not be submitted by fax or e-mail.) More information.


Contact Fairfax County: Phone, Email or Twitter | Main Address: 12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax, VA 22035
Technical Questions: Web Administrator

ADA Accessibility | Website Accessibility
Awards | FOIA | Mobile | Using this Site | Web Disclaimer & Privacy Policy | Get Adobe Reader
Official site of the County of Fairfax, Virginia, © Copyright 2015

Website Feedback Website Feedback    Globe with various flags representing Web site language translations   Language Translations

Return to Graphic Version