Voter Registration - FAQs
How do I check if I am already registered to vote, or if my address is correct?
What are the voter registration requirements?
- Be a U.S. citizen and Virginia resident
- Be 18 years old on or before the (November) general election
How do I register to vote?
Do I have to show ID or provide any documentation to register to vote?
No. When you sign the voter registration form, you sign an oath swearing/affirming that the information you provide on the application is true.
I moved (or changed my name) since I registered to vote. What should I do?
You must update your voter registration in writing
with your signature.
You have four options:
- Fill out a voter regisration application form online or a hard copy There is no designated "change" form. Or
- Complete the back of your voter information card and return it to the Office of Elections Or
- Mail, fax or email the office a signed letter containing your current and updated information. Or
- If requesting an absentee ballot, complete the appropriate part of the absentee ballot application form
How do I know that my registration has been processed or may address/name updated?
- You will receive a voter information card in the mail.
- Check your voter registration status online or by phone 24/7 at 703-222-0776
Is there a deadline to register to vote?
Yes. You must register at least 22 days prior to an election. Check deadline here.
- Online: 11:59 p.m. on the day of the deadline
- By U.S. mail: Postmarked on or before the deadline
- In person: 5 p.m. on the day of the deadline
Can I update my voter registration by fax? Or by scanning my voter regstration form and emailing it?
Yes. The form or change request must contain your signature.
How do I indicate my political party affliation on my voter registration?
Virginia does not register voters by party.