Fairfax County Rides on Bike to Work Day 2011
May is National Bike Month and Friday, May 20 is Bike to Work Day. The Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments (COG), the Washington Area Bicyclists Association (WABA), and local governments including Fairfax County will host one of the nation’s largest Bike to Work Day events. The annual event is held every spring to increase awareness and expose people to the benefits of bicycling to work, and to the market, the library, the café, the book store, the bike shop…basically everywhere!
This year, there are 49 pits stops around the region. Nine pit stops will be set up throughout Fairfax County:
- Reston Town Center (at the intersection of Discovery Street and Market Street)
- Vienna (at the Vienna Town Green on the W&OD)
- Fairfax City at Van Dyck Park
- Fairfax Corner (in the plaza opposite Coastal Flats)
- Tysons Corner (at Booz Allen Hamilton, 8283 Greensboro Drive)
- Springfield (Metro Park at Walker Lane)
- Merrifield (at the intersection of Sandburg Street and the W&OD)
- Burke VRE Park and Ride Lot
- Herndon (at the Town Hall Green just off the W&OD)
Pit stops will provide snacks and drinks, offer free bicycle tune-ups, and a chance to meet fellow riders. Participants who register with WABA will get a 2011 Bike to Work Day t-shirt and be eligible to win some cool prizes. To register or get additional information, visit the WABA Web site at www.waba.org.
To find the most convenient bicycle route, contact the pit stop managers listed on WABA’s Bike to Work Day Web site or contact the Fairfax County Department of Transportation’s bicycle program staff at 703-877-5600 or e-mail email@example.com.
Bike to Work Day is an opportunity to encourage people to think about bicycling as a commuter option. It's fun, it's healthy, and it's green!