Countywide Dialogue on Transportation: Personal Property Tax
The Board has the authority to amend and adopt a new tax rate. The current property tax rate is $4.57 per $100. An increase of $0.01 would generate $1.1 million in revenues per a year.
- A tax on cars, trucks, motor homes, motorcycles, trailers, campers, boats, outboard motors, planes, and business personal property.
- $4.57 per $100.
- $0.10 increase or $4.67 per $100 of assessed value.
Potential Annual Revenue at Example Rate:
- $11 million from Fairfax County residents and businesses.
- Board of Supervisors authorization.
- Not applicable.
- Businesses, Fairfax County residents, and non-residents who have a vehicle normally garaged/parked in the county, even if registered in another state.
Who Doesn't Pay?
- Those who do not garage/park a vehicle in Fairfax County.
Effect on Household:
- After Personal Property Tax Relief, the average increase per household would be $7.30.