Residential Permit Parking - Active Military Personnel

Full Time Active Military Personnel and Spouse

Any person on active duty in the military service, absent from his/her state of residence or domicile solely by reason of compliance with military orders, is not required to change their driver’s license or vehicle registration to Virginia. Your vehicle, however, must be registered at the Fairfax County Department of Tax Administration (DTA) as ‘GARAGED’ at your RPPD address. Please note the email generated ‘tracking number’ for any vehicle during your RPPD online application session and include it with your required documentation.

When you apply online, select the exception for yourself as ‘MILITARY’. The exception for you vehicle will automatically be set to ‘MILITARY’.

Required Documents:

  • Copy of current driver’s license (if out of state)
  • Copy of current vehicle registration to include VIN and plate (if out of state)
  • Letter from your Commanding Officer on military letterhead that states that you are on active duty
  • Copy of lease (showing move-in date and landlord contact information) or mortgage/closing document (showing date address acquired) to confirm RPPD address

Submit Documents by:

Fax: (703) 877-5776


U. S. Mail:
Fairfax County DOT, Attention RPPD
4050 Legato Road, Suite 400
Fairfax, VA 22033-2895


Contact Fairfax County: Phone, Email or Twitter | Main Address: 12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax, VA 22035
Technical Questions: Web Administrator

ADA Accessibility | Website Accessibility
Awards | FOIA | Mobile | Using this Site | Web Disclaimer & Privacy Policy | Get Adobe Reader
Official site of the County of Fairfax, Virginia, © Copyright 2016

Website Feedback Website Feedback    Globe with various flags representing Web site language translations   Language Translations

Return to Graphic Version