Residential Permit Parking Permit Application
If you reside within a Residential Permit Parking District (RPPD), you may be able to apply online for a parking permit for your vehicle. You can expect to receive your permits within 5-7 business days after receipt and verification of submitted information.
There are some exceptions that require additional documentation in order to obtain a permit. Please review the list of exceptions below to determine if any apply to your situation. Each list item is linked to addition information and special instructions detailing how to apply.
- Full time active military personnel and their spouse
- Applying for a permit if you are leasing your vehicle
- Applying for a permit if you are driving another's vehicle
- Full time unemployed out of state student driving their own vehicle
- Full time unemployed out-of-state student driving another's personal vehicle
- Employed student either in-state or out-of-state
- Driving a company vehicle that is registered in Virginia
- Driving a company vehicle that is registered out-of-state
- Driving a government issued vehicle
- Diplomat with international or out-of-state driver's license and vehicle
- I just moved into a restricted parking district
- Commercial vehicles and trailers
If none of the exceptions in the list above apply to your situation, and you have met the vehicle registration requirements as detailed on the RPPD Program page, you can apply online for a parking permit within your district. You will need the following information ready to complete the online application:
- Your driver's license
- Your vehicle registration
Your vehicle property number
(or DTA transaction number if you have just registered)
Note: The address on your drivers license, vehicle registration and the "garaged address" as registered with DTA must match your RPPD address.
For other questions or comments please see the RPPD Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page, call the RPPD Information Line at (703)-877-5877, the Department of Transportation main number at (703)-877-5600 (TTY:711) or use our online contact form.