Residential Permit Parking District Program (RPPD) FAQ

Where do I put my permit?

Residential Permit Parking permits are to be displayed in the lower left corner of the rear window of the vehicle that it was issued to. The permit must be adhered to the window and may not be taped on to the window or displayed in any manner which may allow the transfer of the permit to another vehicle. If the vehicle does not have a rear window or is legally obscured (i.e. louvers), the permit may be displayed on the driver's side on the lower right corner of the window furthest to the rear of the vehicle. Any alteration of the permit (i.e. district number changed and/or plate/VIN changed) shall deem the permit invalid and subject to a fine. 

What is the charge for a parking permit?

There is currently no charge for residential parking permits.

How many permits can I get?

At this time there is not a limit to the number of parking permits that can be obtained.  The owner of the vehicle and the vehicle itself must be registered with DMV at the RPPD address.  In addition, the vehicle must be registered with DTA at the RPPD address.

Where does my guest put the visitor pass?

The Residential Permit Parking District Visitor Pass must be displayed on the vehicle dashboard so that the pass and all of the information displayed on the pass is entirely visible through the vehicle windshield. Any alterations to the pass including changes to the address the pass is issued to and/or to the district number shall deem the pass invalid. Any obscuring of information displayed on the pass (i.e. folding under the address issued to) shall also deem the pass invalid and subject to a fine.

What is the charge for a visitor pass?

There is currently no charge for a residential parking visitor pass. The visitor pass is not to be used by individuals residing at your address or loaned to others to use while not visiting your home such as parking for METRO or attending school. Misuse of a visitor pass can result in confiscation of the pass and a fine. We do not issue replacements for any permit or pass that has been misused.

How many visitor passes can I get?

One visitor pass is issued per address, however if a neighborhood is particularly dense such as in townhouse neighborhoods and apartments which should allow for visitor parking on their premises, no visitor passes are available.

If I park in a restricted district without a permit, what is the fine?

The fine for parking in a restricted district during the hours of the restriction without a permit is currently $75.

Can I move my permit to my new car?

No, you cannot use the permit on an alternate vehicle.  Permits are assigned to particular vehicle with a unique VIN and license plate combination.

I just purchased a car but it has temporary plates.  How can I get a permit?

You can supply information about your new vehicle and we will issue you a temporary parking pass.  We cannot issue a permanent permit until the vehicle has permanent plates and is registered with DTA.

What do I do if I replace my license plate but not my car?

You can apply for a replacement permit online or in person at our offices.

My back window is cracked and needs to be replaced.  What do I do with my permit?

You can apply for a replacement permit online or in person at our offices.

Do I need a permit to park in my driveway?

No you do not.

I am having a repair person come to my house.  Do they need a permit?

Vehicles owned or leased by a public agency, or marked service or delivery vehicles which are being used to provide services or make deliveries to dwellings within the designated District are exempt while they are actively performing a service.

My new tenant is moving in.  Can I apply for a permit for them?

No, you cannot apply for your tenant.  Only the registered owner of the vehicle can apply for the parking permit.

I live around the corner from a parking district and I want to park there.  It is a public street, why do I need a permit?

The RPPD program helps to ensure that residents of densely populated areas have reasonable access to parking near their residences. Residents within the RPPD have petitioned for the restriction and it was approved by the Board of Supervisors.

I used to be able to call on the phone and get a permit. Why can’t I do that anymore?

Regulations now require that we verify that each vehicle is registered with the Fairfax County Department of Tax Administration (DTA) prior to issuing a permit. For us to complete this verification the owner of the vehicle must grant us permission to check by either signing and submitting the application form, or applying online.

I just moved to this RPPD address. How do I go about getting a parking permit?

You can apply or line or in person at our offices. You will be required to provide us with a copy of your driver's license, vehicle registration and lease or mortgage statement and we can issue you a temporary permit for up to 60 days. While you are using this temporary permit you must comply with both VA state and Fairfax County regulations regarding registering your vehicle and changing your driver's license. Please read the extensive information in the exceptions area on our web site.

How do I know if my address is in an RPPD District?

The RPPD Maps web page has a County-wide map showing the various RPPD districts throughout the County and individual maps for each district showing the streets that are restricted.

If I want to report someone violating the parking restrictions, who should I call for enforcement?

You should call the Fairfax County Police non-emergency number to report violations in your district.

Where can I find my vehicle property number?

If you are already registered with Fairfax County and do not know your personal property number, you can find it one of three ways:

  1. Check your Fairfax County personal property tax bill that you received in the mail
  2. Call DTA at 703-222-8234
  3. Online (only if you have already been billed):

Connect to the DTA “Pay My Car Taxes” web site

Click [GO] button
Step 1: [NO] and [SUBMIT]
Step 2: Enter your DMV ID and VIN
Step 3: [AGREE]

View Property Number under the banner:

Qualified for
Car Tax Relief
  xx-XXXX XXXX x              


If you have not yet registered with DTA, you can do so on the DTA Vehicle Registration web page. Please take note of the Transaction Reference Number (TRN) at the end of your session, you will need this number to apply for an RPPD permit.

Contact Fairfax County: Phone, Email or Twitter | Main Address: 12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax, VA 22035
Technical Questions: Web Administrator

ADA Accessibility | Website Accessibility
Awards | FOIA | Mobile | Using this Site | Web Disclaimer & Privacy Policy | Get Adobe Reader
Official site of the County of Fairfax, Virginia, © Copyright 2016

Website Feedback Website Feedback    Globe with various flags representing Web site language translations   Language Translations

Return to Graphic Version