TAC Meeting Minutes for January 15, 2013
FAIRFAX COUNTY TRANSPORTATION ADVISORY COMMISSION
Regular Meeting – January 15, 2013 at 7:30 PM – Fairfax County DOT, 4050 Legato Road, Suite 400, Fairfax Virginia
TAC Members in Attendance: Frank Cohn (Mt. Vernon), Jennifer Joy Madden, Vice Chair (Hunter Mill), Jeff Parnes, Chair (Sully), and Edson Tennyson (At-Large) Ann Pimley (Fairfax Area Disability Board), Eric Thiel (Springfield), Kevin Morse (Braddock), and Harry Zimmerman (Lee).
TAC Members Absent: Roger Hoskins, Secretary (Mason), Chad Quinn (Dranesville), Carrie Nixon (Providence).
Others in Attendance: FCDOT Staff: Ray Johnson and Todd Wigglesworth.
Note Taker: Harry Zimmerman
Meeting was called to order by Chairman Parnes. Meeting notes from December 18th were accepted by acclimation.
Main Topics Discussed
Update on the County Dialogue on Transportation Funding, Ray Johnson, FCDOT
Mr. Johnson gave a comprehensive briefing based on the staff presentation to the County Transportation Board this morning. The presentation included a summary of the public outreach process and the results from those efforts as well as recommendations.
During the TAC presentation there was considerable discussion about the fact that the “data” from the survey was not necessarily representative of the general population in the County. Staff agreed and pointed out that the documentation indicates that the survey results are not statistically significant.
The presentation included an overall assessment of what still needed to be done as well as proposed next steps to achieve the County’s goals for resolving transportation issues.
TAC members recommended some strategies to enhance the way forward including providing feedback to the citizens about what was learned from this initial outreach effort as well as providing a clear vision of what the County needs or wants to achieve in the realm of transportation improvements. It might also be helpful to show in meaningful terms and displays what could be achieved with various levels of funding. It was also pointed out that it would be useful to provide clarification of what different bond mechanisms would mean to the citizens such as revenue bonds where the investments reduced operating costs or generated enough revenue to pay back the bonds.
There was additional discussion about overall timing, political concerns, and opportunities to learn from other jurisdictions such as Georgia where meaningful lessons have been learned under somewhat similar circumstances. Suggestions were also made relative to finding one or more examples of locations where transportation is being managed well and use that information to help build our story for the public.
TAC asked if the Board expected us to participate in the next steps and staff advised that there was no explicit expectation for further TAC action on this matter.
Agenda for the February 19, 2013, meeting
- Fairfax Connector Outreach Plan for Dulles Rail Phase I – Christy Wegener and Paul Mounier, FCDOT
TAC agreed to following topics in roughly this order for future meetings:
- Countywide Transit Network Study Update (Postponed from January 15, 2013 Meeting)
- March 19, 2013: Final Super NoVa Transit and TDM Vision Plan – Amy Inman, DRPT
- Bus Rapid Transit Presentation
- Dulles Rail Phase II – Final Engineering Study
- Columbia Pike Street Car Line Progress (and additional possible candidates)
- CTB Determination of Corridor of Statewide Importance through Loudoun/Prince William Counties
- Regional Transit System Plan
- Comprehensive Plan staff and Planning Commission discussions with TAC on what their vision is for future development and any changes in planning and zoning guidelines that may be needed to account for future work environment given the pace and impacts of technology advances (including guest speaker to explain impact of self-driving/smart cars, buses and trucks on traffic, roadways and intersections). It was suggested that this topic include more exposure of a planning initiative called “Fairfax Forward”.
- I-495 Express Lane Monthly/Quarterly Report
- Board Four-Year Transportation Plan
Announcements: There were various announcements about local events.
Meeting Adjourned: at 9:20 p.m.
February 19, 2013 7:30 pm TAC Regular Meeting (FCDOT)
March 5, 2013 7:30 pm TAC Work Session (FCDOT)
March 19, 2013 7:30 pm TAC Regular Meeting (FCDOT)
April 2, 2013 7:30 pm TAC Work Session (FCDOT)
April 16, 2013 7:30 pm TAC Regular Meeting (FCDOT)