Frequently Asked Questions - FAQs Q8
8. How do I get hired by your department to become a firefighter/EMT?
The application process begins with you. You must have the desire to help others, and the passion to incorporate that desire into a career. The minimum requirements to submit an application to this Department are as follows:
- Minimum age of 18 years old,
- Possession of a valid driver's license,
- High school diploma or GED,
- Drug free for the past 12 months,
- No more than one moving traffic violation within the past 12 months.
The steps within the selection process in chronological order are:
- Written exam and Candidate Physical Abilities Test Orientation Video
- Practice CPAT (Candidate Physical Abilities Test)
- Document Review and CPAT Exam
- Polygraph Evaluation
- Medical Examination
- Psychological Profile Evaluation
Each phase of the selection process must be successfully completed in chronological order to continue through the process. It takes approximately one year from the time of the written exam to complete the selection process. The position of firefighter/EMT is an entry level position and is highly competitive, therefore all candidates are encouraged to do their best throughout the selection process.
Fairfax County is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and is extremely active in minority recruitment in order to maintain a diverse work force reflective of the community. Requests for reasonable accommodations should be made through the Recruitment Section prior to each event.
Please visit the Fairfax County Job News site to find out more about employment opportunities.