Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department
4100 Chain Bridge Rd, Fairfax, Virginia 22030
Phone: 703-246-3801, TTY: 711 and Fax:703-385-1687
Duty PIO (Weekends/After-hours): 703-280-0694
Media Information Line: 703-324-3000
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department units responded to a house fire at approximately 8:20 p.m., Tuesday, June 10, 2008, in the Annandale area of Fairfax County. The single-family home is located at 4920 Wakefield Chapel Road.
Firefighters encountered smoke and fire on the roof and in the attic area of the ranch-style home upon arrival. Firefighters were able to contain the fire to the roof and attic space. It took firefighters approximately 15 minutes to bring the fire under control. A family of two adults and three children has been displaced. All the occupants escaped without injury when the fire broke out. Red Cross assistance was not needed.
Damage is estimated at $150,000.
According to fire investigators, the fire was accidental. A lightning strike on the roof caused the fire.
- Avoid contact with corded phones.
- Avoid contact with electrical equipment or cords. If you plan to unplug any electronic equipment, do so well before the storm arrives.
- Avoid contact with plumbing. Do not wash your hands, do not take a shower, do not wash dishes, and do not do laundry.
- Stay away from windows and doors, and stay off porches.
- Do not lie on concrete floors and do not lean against concrete walls.
For more information, call Daniel L. Schmidt or Lieutenant Raúl G. Castillo, Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department, 703-246-3801 and TTY: 711. Fairfax County is committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of disability in all county programs, services and activities. Reasonable accommodations will be provided upon request.