Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department
4100 Chain Bridge Rd, Fairfax, Virginia 22030
Phone: 703-246-3801, TTY: 711 and Fax:703-385-1687
Duty PIO (Weekends/After-hours): 703-280-0694
Media Information Line: 703-324-3000
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department units responded to a house fire at approximately 2:10 p.m., Friday, December 26, 2008 in the McLean area of Fairfax County. The home is located at 6826 Old Chesterbrook Road.
Firefighters encountered fire and smoke showing from rear of the two-story single-family home. Firefighters brought the fire under control in approximately 10 minutes. The fire originated in an attached garage and extended to the first and second floor of the structure. Five adults were at home when the fire started, and safely evacuated when the smoke alarms were activated. Five occupants have been displaced. There were no injuries.
Damage is estimated at $180,000.
According to fire investigators, the fire was accidental. An electrical anomaly in the attached garage caused the fire.
- Replace or repair loose or frayed cords on all electrical devices.
- Avoid overloading outlets. Plug only one high-wattage appliance into each receptacle outlet at a time.
- When possible, avoid the use of "cube taps" and other devices that allow the connection of multiple appliances into a single receptacle.
- Consider having additional circuits or outlets added by a qualified electrician so you do not have to use extension cords.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instruction for plugging an appliance into a receptacle outlet.
For more information, call Daniel L. Schmidt or Lieutenant Raúl G. Castillo, Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department, 703-246-3801 and TTY: 711. Fairfax County is committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of disability in all county programs, services and activities. Reasonable accommodations will be provided upon request.