Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department
4100 Chain Bridge Rd, Fairfax, Virginia 22030
Phone: 703-246-3801, TTY: 711 and Fax:703-385-1687
Duty PIO (Weekends/After-hours): 703-280-0694
Media Information Line: 703-324-3000
News Release 09-11
Date: January 28, 2009
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department units responded to a house fire at approximately 6:30 p.m., Tuesday, January 27, 2009, in the Bonnie Brae subdivision of Fairfax County. The home is located at 5353 Sideburn Road.
Firefighters encountered fire and smoke visible from the sides and attic of the two-story home upon arrival. Firefighters brought the fire under control in approximately 10 minutes. Four people were displaced, two adults and two children. There were no injuries.
Damage is estimated at $50,000.
According to fire investigators, the fire was accidental. The fire originated in the chimney, built-up creosote in the chimney flue started the fire.
Fireplace Safety Tips
- Ensure that your chimney is cleaned and inspected by a licensed professional once a year.
- A spark arrestor across the top of a chimney will prevent sparks from igniting your roof.
- Use the proper fuel (seasoned hardwood, pellets, and gas/propane) for your type of system. Never use gasoline, kerosene, or other flammable liquids to start a fire.
- Fireplaces should have a sturdy screen across the front to prevent embers from flying or logs from rolling out.
- When clearing ashes from the fireplace, be sure to put them into a metal container with a lid—never into a cardboard box or paper bag.
- Follow manufacturer’s instructions carefully. Many “non-masonry” fireplace/chimney units have limitations on the amount of heat they can safely withstand.
For more information, call Daniel L. Schmidt or Captain I Randal Bittinger,
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department, 703-246-3801 and TTY: 711.
Duty PIO (Weekends/After-hours): 703-877-3702
Fairfax County is committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of disability in all county programs,
services and activities. Reasonable accommodations will be provided upon request.
4100 Chain Bridge Road
Fairfax, VA 22030