Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department
4100 Chain Bridge Rd, Fairfax, Virginia 22030
Phone: 703-246-3801, TTY: 711 and Fax:703-385-1687
Duty PIO (Weekends/After-hours): 703-280-0694
Media Information Line: 703-324-3000
News Release 09-21
Date: March 11, 2009
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department units responded to a house fire Tuesday, March 10, 2009, at approximately 12:25 p.m., in the Clifton area of Fairfax County. The home is located at 13135 Compton Road.
Firefighters experienced heavy fire and smoke coming from the rear and roof of a single-family home upon arrival. Firefighters used a tanker task force of five tankers in addition to several engines to fight the fire. The neighborhood is a non-hydrant area. Firefighters brought the fire under control in approximately 45 minutes. The home sustained major damage to the roof, attic, and top floor, and extensive water and smoke damage throughout the home. Firefighters rescued four cats while fighting the fire. No one was home when the fire broke out. Two adults have been displaced. There were no injuries related to the fire. Red Cross resources were not needed.
Damage is estimated at $900,000.
According to fire investigators, the fire was accidental. The cause of the fire involved an oil furnace.
- Have a heating contractor perform a yearly maintenance check-up of your furnace and venting system to ensure efficient, safe operation.
- Be sure all furnace controls and emergency shutoffs are in proper working conditions.
- Leave furnace repairs to qualified specialists. Do not attempt repairs yourself unless you are qualified.
- Never store chemicals, chlorine, paint thinners, paint strippers, or gasoline near the furnace.
- Make sure there is a free flow of air to the furnace. Keep an area of at least two feet around the furnace clear by removing any boxes or obstructions.
For more information, call Daniel L. Schmidt or Captain I Randal Bittinger,
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department, 703-246-3801 and TTY: 711.
Duty PIO (Weekends/After-hours): 703-877-3702
Fairfax County is committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of disability in all county programs,
services and activities. Reasonable accommodations will be provided upon request.
4100 Chain Bridge Road
Fairfax, VA 22030