Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department
4100 Chain Bridge Rd, Fairfax, Virginia 22030
Phone: 703-246-3801, TTY: 711 and Fax:703-385-1687
Duty PIO (Weekends/After-hours): 703-280-0694
Media Information Line: 703-324-3000
News Release 09-23
Date: March 17, 2009
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department units responded to a house fire at approximately 3 p.m. Sunday, March 15, 2009, in the Falls Church area of Fairfax County. The home is located at 6706 Westcott Road.
Firefighters encountered heavy smoke visible from the front and right sides of the one-story home upon arrival. Firefighters brought the fire under control in approximately 5 minutes. The fire originated in the utility room. Four people were displaced, two adult and two children.
There were no injuries.
Damage is estimated at $60,000.
According to fire investigators, the fire was accidental. The cause of the fire involved the motor assembly for the HVAC system.
- Have a heating contractor perform a yearly maintenance check-up of your furnace and venting system to ensure efficient, safe operation.
- Be sure all furnace controls and emergency shutoffs are in proper working conditions.
- Leave furnace repairs to qualified specialists. Do not attempt repairs yourself unless you are qualified.
- Never store chemicals, chlorine, paint thinners, paint strippers, or gasoline near the furnace.
- Make sure there is a free flow of air to the furnace. Keep an area of at least two feet around the furnace clear by removing any boxes or obstructions.
For more information, call Daniel L. Schmidt or Captain I William Moreland, Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department, 703-246-3801 and TTY: 711. Fairfax County is committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of disability in all county programs, services and activities. Reasonable accommodations will be provided upon request.