Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department
4100 Chain Bridge Rd, Fairfax, Virginia 22030
Phone: 703-246-3801, TTY: 711 and Fax:703-385-1687
Duty PIO (Weekends/After-hours): 703-280-0694
Media Information Line: 703-324-3000
News Release 09-38
Date: May 7, 2009
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department units responded to a house fire at approximately 12:10 p.m., Wednesday, May 6, 2009, in the Lorton area. The single-family home is located at 10226 Old Colchester Road.
Firefighters encountered heavy fire from the side and smoke from the eaves and attic of the one-story home upon arrival. The fire originated in the kitchen and extended throughout the house. Firefighters brought the fire under control in approximately 20 minutes. Two adults have been displaced. The homeowner and pets escaped unharmed. There were no injuries.
The house is a total loss.
According to fire investigators, the fire was accidental. Unattended food on the stove caused the fire.
Cooking Safety Tips
- Stay in the kitchen when you are frying, grilling, or broiling food. If you leave the kitchen, even for a short time, turn off the stove.
- Wear short, close fitting or tightly rolled sleeves when cooking. Loose clothing can dangle onto stove burners and catch fire.
- Keep anything that can catch fire—potholders, towels, or curtains—away from your stovetop.
- Have a “kid-free zone” of at least three feet around the stove and areas where hot food or drink is prepared or carried.
- Always keep an oven mitt and lid nearby when you are cooking. If a small grease fire starts in a pan, put on an oven mitt and smother the flames by carefully sliding the lid over the pan. Turn off the burner. Do not remove the lid until it is completely cool.
- If there is an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the door closed to prevent flames from burning you and your clothing. Have the oven serviced before you use it again.
For more information, call Daniel L. Schmidt or Captain I Randal Bittinger,
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department, 703-246-3801 and TTY: 711.
Duty PIO (Weekends/After-hours): 703-877-3702
Fairfax County is committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of disability in all county programs,
services and activities. Reasonable accommodations will be provided upon request.
4100 Chain Bridge Road
Fairfax, VA 22030