Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department
4100 Chain Bridge Rd, Fairfax, Virginia 22030
Phone: 703-246-3801, TTY: 711 and Fax:703-385-1687
Duty PIO (Weekends/After-hours): 703-280-0694
Media Information Line: 703-324-3000
News Release 09-45
Date: June 10, 2009
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department units responded to a house fire at approximately 7:50 p.m., Tuesday, June 9, 2009, in the Annandale area. The home is located at 3417 Arnold Lane.
Firefighters encountered heavy fire through the roof of two-story home upon arrival. Firefighters coordinated the attack on the fire and confined it to the attic and roof area. One adult was at home when the fire started and self-evacuated. Firefighters brought the fire under control in approximately 20 minutes. Three adults have been displaced. Red Cross is assisting the displaced residents.
Damage is estimated at $150,000.
According to fire investigators, the fire was accidental. Lightning strike caused the fire.
- During a lightning storm, suspend outdoor activities and find shelter.
- If the time delay between seeing the flash (lightning) and hearing a thunderclap is less than 30 seconds, you should be inside, or seek a safe location.
- Large enclosed structures (substantially constructed buildings) tend to be much safer than smaller or open structures.
- Avoid being in or near high places and open fields, isolated trees, unprotected gazebos, or picnic shelters.
- Stay away from windows.
- Stay off the phone unless you need to make an emergency phone call.
- High winds, rainfall, and cloud cover often act as precursors to actual cloud-to-ground strikes notifying individuals to take action.
- Many lightning injuries occur as a storm approaches, because people ignore these precursors.
- Wait at least 30 minutes after a lightning storm has passed to resume outdoor activities.
For more information, call Daniel L. Schmidt or Captain I Randal Bittinger,
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department, 703-246-3801 and TTY: 711.
Duty PIO (Weekends/After-hours): 703-877-3702
Fairfax County is committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of disability in all county programs,
services and activities. Reasonable accommodations will be provided upon request.
4100 Chain Bridge Road
Fairfax, VA 22030