Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department
4100 Chain Bridge Rd, Fairfax, Virginia 22030
Phone: 703-246-3801, TTY: 711 and Fax:703-385-1687
Duty PIO (Weekends/After-hours): 703-280-0694
Media Information Line: 703-324-3000
News Release 09-76
Date: November 4, 2009
As outdoor temperatures drop, and people take measures to keep themselves warm this winter, fire incidents involving fireplaces may increase. The Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department would like to remind you of some important SAFETY TIPS:
- Have your chimney inspected annually, and cleaned as necessary.
- When cleaning the fireplace, store ashes in a non-combustible container with a tight fitting lid and place the container away from the house.
- Never leave a fireplace fire unattended.
- Make sure the fire is completely out before going to bed or leaving the house.
- Allow ashes to cool before disposing in a metal container (sometimes it takes four days for ashes to cool down).
- Dispose of ashes in a metal container.
- Call 911 immediately when a fire occurs. Residents should not attempt to extinguish the fire themselves.
For more seasonal fire and life safety information, please visit our website at: www.fairfaxcounty.gov/fire
For more information, call Daniel L. Schmidt or Captain I William Moreland, Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department, 703-246-3801 and TTY: 711. Fairfax County is committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of disability in all county programs, services and activities. Reasonable accommodations will be provided upon request.