Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department
News Release 10-11
Date: January 22, 2010
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department units responded to a townhouse fire Thursday, January 21, 2010, at approximately 10 p.m., in the Kingstowne area of Fairfax County. The townhouse is located at 7303 Larrup Court.
Firefighters encountered smoke and fire coming from the first floor and rear of the two-story townhouse upon arrival. Firefighters deployed ladders to the front and rear of the middle townhouse; however, all occupants had escaped unharmed prior to firefighters arriving. It took firefighters approximately 15 minutes to bring the fire under control. Major damage was sustained to the first floor kitchen with some fire extension to the second floor and smoke throughout the home. Firefighters were able to protect the adjacent townhouses from fire exposure. Two adults and four children have been displaced. Red Cross is assisting the occupants. There were no injuries.
Damage is estimated at $75,000.
According to fire investigators, the fire was accidental. A clothes dryer caused the fire.
Clothes Dryer Safety Tips
- Clean the lint filter before or after each load. Don’t forget to clean the back of the dryer where lint can be trapped.
- The interior of the dryer and venting system should be cleaned periodically by qualified service personnel. If you notice the drying time is longer, clean the vent system thoroughly to ensure proper airflow.
- Replace plastic, vinyl, and aluminum foil venting with rigid or flexible metal venting.
- Do not dry clothing/fabric on or near anything flammable (alcohol, cooking oils, gasoline, spot removers, dry-cleaning solvents, etc.). Flammable substances give off vapors that could ignite or explode.
- Have a functional smoke alarm placed in the laundry area (somewhere near the dryer).
For more information, call Daniel L. Schmidt or Captain I Randal Bittinger,
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department, 703-246-3801 and TTY: 711.
Duty PIO (Weekends/After-hours): 703-877-3702
Fairfax County is committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of disability in all county programs,
services and activities. Reasonable accommodations will be provided upon request.
4100 Chain Bridge Road
Fairfax, VA 22030