Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department
4100 Chain Bridge Rd, Fairfax, Virginia 22030
Phone: 703-246-3801, TTY: 711 and Fax:703-385-1687
Duty PIO (Weekends/After-hours): 703-877-3702
News Release 10-12
Date: January 25, 2010
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department units responded to a house fire Saturday, January 23, 2010, at approximately 12:25 p.m., in the Annandale area of Fairfax County. The single family home is located at 3442 Reedy Drive.
Firefighters encountered heavy fire and smoke coming from the attached garage of the two-story home upon arrival. The fire spread to the home causing additional damage. Firefighters conducted an exterior attack and brought the fire under control in approximately 25 minutes. Three adults have been displaced. One adult male was transported to Inova Fairfax Hospital for non-life threatening injuries. Red Cross is assisting the occupants.
Damage is estimated at $100,000.
According to fire investigators, the fire was accidental. Vapors from spilled fuel from a kerosene heater in the garage ignited and caused the fire.
- Use flammable liquids outside whenever possible.
- Never smoke while using flammable liquids (this includes filling up the car).
- Store flammable liquids in approved safety cans.
- Never refuel power mowers, chain saws, etc., while they are hot; wait until the machine is cool to the touch before refueling. Wipe up spills immediately.
- Store flammable liquids outside the home, in a cool, well-ventilated area, away from any possible heat source.
- Never store more than five gallons of flammable liquids.
For more information, call Daniel L. Schmidt or Captain I William Moreland, Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department, 703-246-3801 and TTY: 711. Fairfax County is committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of disability in all county programs, services and activities. Reasonable accommodations will be provided upon request.