Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department
4100 Chain Bridge Rd, Fairfax, Virginia 22030
Phone: 703-246-3801, TTY: 711 and Fax:703-385-1687
Duty PIO (Weekends/After-hours): 703-877-3702
News Release 10-30
Date: March 5, 2010
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department units responded to a townhouse fire Thursday, March 4, 2010, at approximately 9:35 a.m., in the Reston area of Fairfax County. The townhouse is located at 1904 Winterport Cluster.
Firefighters encountered fire to the rear of the two-story townhouse and deck area, and then quickly spreading into the attic and roof upon arrival. Crews on the inside fought the fire on the second floor and attic area, extinguishing the fire in approximately 30 minutes. While fighting the fire, drywall from the ceiling fell onto a firefighter. The firefighter was transported to Reston Hospital Center for non-life threatening injuries. Both townhouse occupants escaped the home prior to emergency crews arriving. Both adult occupants will be displaced and have been assisted by the Red Cross. The townhouse had working smoke alarms.
Damage is estimated at approximately $180,000.
According to fire investigators, the fire was accidental. Improperly discarded fireplace ashes caused the fire.
Fireplace Ashes Safety Tips
- Do not discard your ashes into any combustible container such as a paper or plastic bag, a cardboard box, or a plastic trash can.
- Do not place ash containers on decks, porches, or in garages.
- Put ashes into a non-combustible metal container with a lid.
- Pour water into the container to make sure the ashes are cool.
- Keep your can OUTSIDE the home, away from your fireplace or stove.
- Teach all family members to be safe with ashes from your fireplace or stove.
For more information, call Daniel L. Schmidt or Captain I Randal Bittinger, Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department, 703-246-3801 and TTY: 711. Fairfax County is committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of disability in all county programs, services and activities. Reasonable accommodations will be provided upon request.