Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department
News Release 10-31
Date: March 5, 2010
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department units responded to a townhouse fire Thursday, March 4, 2010, at approximately 6:30 p.m., in the Franconia area of Fairfax County. The townhouse is located at 5896 Parenhem Way.
Firefighters encountered fire coming from the first floor of the two-story townhouse upon arrival. Firefighters conducted an interior attack and brought the fire under control in approximately 15 minutes. The fire was contained to the first floor. Firefighters were also able to protect the adjacent townhouses from fire exposure. One adult and two children have been displaced. Red Cross is assisting the occupants. There were no injuries.
Damage is estimated at $50,000.
According to fire investigators, the fire was accidental. Unattended food on the stove caused the fire.
Cooking Safety Tips
- Stay in the kitchen when you are frying, grilling, or broiling food. If you leave the kitchen, even for a short time, turn off the stove.
- Wear short, close fitting or tightly rolled sleeves when cooking. Loose clothing can dangle onto stove burners and catch fire.
- Keep anything that can catch fire—potholders, towels, or curtains—away from your stovetop.
- Have a “kid-free zone” of at least three feet around the stove and areas where hot food or drink is prepared or carried.
- Always keep an oven mitt and lid nearby when you are cooking. If a small grease fire starts in a pan, put on an oven mitt and smother the flames by carefully sliding the lid over the pan. Turn off the burner. Do not remove the lid until it is completely cool.
- If there is an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the door closed to prevent flames from burning you and your clothing. Have the oven serviced before you use it again.
For more information, call Daniel L. Schmidt or Captain I Randal Bittinger,
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department, 703-246-3801 and TTY: 711.
Duty PIO (Weekends/After-hours): 703-877-3702
Fairfax County is committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of disability in all county programs,
services and activities. Reasonable accommodations will be provided upon request.
4100 Chain Bridge Road
Fairfax, VA 22030