Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department
4100 Chain Bridge Rd, Fairfax, Virginia 22030
Phone: 703-246-3801, TTY: 711 and Fax:703-385-1687
Duty PIO (Weekends/After-hours): 703-877-3702
News Release 10-52
Date: May 10, 2010
Fire Chief Ronald L. Mastin has selected Deputy Chief Garrett L. Dyer for promotion to Assistant Chief. He will be assigned as Assistant Chief, Personnel Services Bureau. He currently serves as Deputy Chief, Operations Bureau, A-Shift.
Chief Dyer began his career at Fire and Rescue Station 22, Springfield, in 1986. Career highlights and promotions include:
- Technician, Fire and Rescue Station 24, Woodlawn, 1989
- Sergeant, Fire and Rescue Station 11, Penn Daw, 1991
- Lieutenant, Fire and Rescue Station 19, Lorton, 1993
- Captain I, Basic Training Instructor, Fire and Rescue Academy, 1995
- Captain II, Fire Prevention, Supervisor, Fire Protection Systems Testing Branch, 1998; Fire Prevention, Supervisor, Fire Investigations Branch, 2001
- Battalion Chief, Fire Prevention, Supervisor, Hazardous Materials and Investigative Services Section, 2005; also served as interim Deputy Chief of Fire Prevention for several months in 2006
- Deputy Chief, Fire and Rescue Academy, 2006
Chief Dyer was assigned to his current position in 2009.
As Assistant Chief of Personnel Services he will oversee Safety and Personnel Services, the Fire and Rescue Academy, Professional Standards Office, Equal Employment Opportunity/Women's Programs Office, and the Volunteer Liaison Office. His reporting date will be June 5, 2010.
Chief Dyer is scheduled to complete requirements for a bachelor's degree in fire science and a minor in criminal justice, University of Maryland, University College in August of 2010. He is a member of the International Association of Arson Investigators, International Association of Fire Chiefs, and the Virginia Fire Chiefs Association. He has also received the Fire Officer Designation, center for public safety excellence.
Chief Dyer and his wife Julie, and three children, Brayden, Odessa, and Justin, reside in La Plata, Maryland.
For more information, call Daniel L. Schmidt or Captain I Randal Bittinger, Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department, 703-246-3801 and TTY: 711. Fairfax County is committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of disability in all county programs, services and activities. Reasonable accommodations will be provided upon request.