Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department
News Release 10-53
Date: May 10, 2010
Fire Chief Ronald L. Mastin has selected Deputy Chief John A. Burke for promotion to Assistant Chief. He will be assigned as Assistant Chief, Business Services Bureau. He currently serves as Deputy Chief, Special Operations.
Chief Burke began his career at Fire and Rescue Station 30, Merrifield, in 1979. Career highlights and promotions include:
- Firefighter II, Hazardous Materials Response Team, 1983
- Sergeant, Fire and Rescue Station 1, McLean, 1988
- Lieutenant, Fire and Rescue Station 2, Vienna, 1994
- Captain I, Recruit and Field Training Supervisor, Fire and Rescue Academy, 1995; Shift Commander, Fire and Rescue Station 1, McLean, 1997
- Captain II, Station Commander, Fire and Rescue Station 13, Dunn Loring, 1998
- Battalion Chief, Field Battalion Chief, 2001; Battalion Chief, Emergency Medical Services, 2003
- Deputy Chief, Support Services, 2003; Deputy Chief, Special Projects, 2005
Chief Burke was assigned to his current position in 2006, and was also the interim Assistant Chief, Operations for several months in 2007.
As Assistant Chief of Business Services he will oversee Fire Prevention (Fire Marshal's Office), Public Affairs and Life Safety Education, Fiscal Services, Support Services, and Planning. His reporting date will be June 5, 2010.
Chief Burke has a master's degree in management sciences, from Johns Hopkins University, a bachelor's degree in fire science administration, University of Maryland, and an associate's degree in fire science, from Montgomery College, Maryland. He is a member of the Virginia Fire Chiefs Association and the National Fire Protection Association.
Chief Burke and his wife Lisa reside in Gaithersburg, Maryland, and have three grown children, Jennifer, Ryan, and Matthew.
For more information, call Daniel L. Schmidt or Captain I Randal Bittinger,
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department, 703-246-3801 and TTY: 711.
Duty PIO (Weekends/After-hours): 703-877-3702
Fairfax County is committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of disability in all county programs,
services and activities. Reasonable accommodations will be provided upon request.
4100 Chain Bridge Road
Fairfax, VA 22030