Smoke Alarm Alerts Condominium Occupants
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department
News Release 11-92
Date: November 17, 2011
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department units responded to a condominium fire, Wednesday, November 16, 2011, at approximately 9 p.m., in the Reston area of Fairfax County. The condominium is located at 2335 Freetown Court, No. 2-B.
Firefighters encountered heavy smoke coming from the first floor stairwell upon arrival. Crews used ground ladders to rescue several occupants from a third floor balcony. Firefighters brought the fire under control in approximately 30 minutes. A smoke alarm activated in the condominium, providing the occupants early warning to escape unharmed. Two adults have been displaced. Red Cross is providing assistance. There were no injuries.
Damage is estimated at $30,000.
According to fire investigators, the fire was accidental. Clothes inside a dryer ignited and caused the fire.
Clothes Dryer Safety Tips
- Clean the lint filter before or after each load. Don’t forget to clean the back of the dryer where lint can be trapped.
- The interior of the dryer and venting system should be cleaned periodically by qualified service personnel. If you notice the drying time is longer, clean the vent system thoroughly to ensure proper airflow.
- Replace plastic, vinyl, and aluminum foil venting with rigid or flexible metal venting.
- Do not dry clothing/fabric on or near anything flammable (alcohol, cooking oils, gasoline, spot removers, dry-cleaning solvents, etc.). Flammable substances give off vapors that could ignite or explode.
- Have a functional smoke alarm placed in the laundry area (somewhere near the dryer).
For more information, call Daniel L. Schmidt or Captain I Randal Bittinger,
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department, 703-246-3801 and TTY: 711.
Duty PIO (Weekends/After-hours): 703-877-3702
Fairfax County is committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of disability in all county programs,
services and activities. Reasonable accommodations will be provided upon request.
4100 Chain Bridge Road
Fairfax, VA 22030