Accidental Vienna House Fire
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department
News Release 11-94
Date: November 21, 2011
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department units responded to a house fire, Sunday, November 20, 2011, at approximately 11:30 a.m., in the Town of Vienna. The single-family home is located at 405 Center Street, North.
Firefighters encountered smoke and fire coming from the basement to the rear of the two-story home upon arrival. Firefighters brought the fire under control in approximately 20 minutes. An outside rear deck was also damaged by the fire originating in the basement. Two adults and one juvenile have been displaced. Red Cross assistance was not necessary. There were no injuries.
Damage is estimated at $50,000.
According to fire investigators, the fire was accidental. A lamp in the basement too close to combustibles started the fire.
Lamp Safety Tips
- Always buy a certified lamp such as the Underwriters Laboratories or CSA International, as they provide standards to ensure safety.
- Keep combustible materials at least three feet from halogen lamps and consider not using them in areas where they might be tipped oroverturned.
- Never place lamps near windows, beds, or an area where fabric may hangnear the top of the lamp.
- Before using the light, ensure you are using the recommended bulb; the wrong bulb can cause the lamp to shatter.
- Shut off the lamp when you leave the room or area.
For more information, call Daniel L. Schmidt or Captain I Randal Bittinger,
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department, 703-246-3801 and TTY: 711.
Duty PIO (Weekends/After-hours): 703-877-3702
Fairfax County is committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of disability in all county programs,
services and activities. Reasonable accommodations will be provided upon request.
4100 Chain Bridge Road
Fairfax, VA 22030