Candle Causes Burke Townhouse Fire
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department
News Release 12-04
Date: January 12, 2012
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department units responded to a townhouse fire Tuesday, January 10, 2012, at approximately 10:10 a.m., in the Burke area of Fairfax County. The single-family home is located at 4804 Nash Drive.
Firefighters encountered smoke coming from the second floor of a middle townhouse upon arrival. Firefighters conducted an aggressive fire attack in a second floor bedroom, bringing the fire under control in approximately 10 minutes. Smoke alarms sounded, providing early warning for the occupants. Four occupants have been displaced, two adults, and two youth. Red Cross is assisting the family. There were no injuries.
Damage is estimated at $50,000.
According to fire investigators, the fire was accidental. An unattended candle and incense in the second floor bedroom caused the fire.
Candle Safety Tips
- Do not place candles near combustible materials.
- Place candles in glass or ceramic containers.
- Place candles on a flat, sturdy surface.
- Never leave children unattended in a room with an open flame candle.
- Do not place candles on window ledges or near entryways. The potential air draft can “fan” the flame, catching curtains or other materials on fire.
- Do keep burning candles within sight at all times. Candles can present fire hazards outdoors on decks and patios as well as inside your home.
- Always extinguish candles before leaving the home.
- Place all candles on a protected, heat resistant, dry surface away from anything that can catch fire and out of the reach of children and pets.
For more information, call Daniel L. Schmidt or Captain I Randal Bittinger,
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department, 703-246-3801 and TTY: 711.
Duty PIO (Weekends/After-hours): 703-877-3702
Fairfax County is committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of disability in all county programs,
services and activities. Reasonable accommodations will be provided upon request.
4100 Chain Bridge Road
Fairfax, VA 22030