Accidental West Springfield House Fire
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department
News Release 12-108
Date: December 26, 2012
Fairfax Fire and Rescue Department units responded to a house fire, Tuesday, December 25, 2012, at approximately 10:25 p.m., in the West Springfield area of Fairfax County. The single family home is located at 7915 Lobelia Lane.
Firefighters reported heavy smoke coming from the front door and several windows on the first floor of the two-story home upon arrival. Firefighters conducted an aggressive fire attack and brought the fire under control in approximately 15 minutes. The lone occupant escaped from a second floor bedroom after she was alerted by an alarm monitoring company. She escaped unharmed but was evaluated by a paramedic and refused transport. The occupant has been displaced and has declined Red Cross support. There were no injuries.
Damage is estimated at $150,000.
According to fire investigators, the fire was accidental. A large diameter candle too close to combustibles on the first floor caused the fire.
Candle Safety Tips
- Do not place candles near combustible materials.
- Place candles in glass or ceramic containers.
- Place candles on a flat, sturdy surface.
- Never leave children unattended in a room with an open flame candle.
- Do not place candles on window ledges or near entryways. The potential air draft can “fan” the flame, catching curtains or other materials on fire.
- Do keep burning candles within sight at all times. Candles can present fire hazards outdoors on decks and patios as well as inside your home.
- Always extinguish candles before leaving the home.
- Place all candles on a protected, heat resistant, dry surface away from anything that can catch fire and out of the reach of children and pets.
For more information, call Daniel L. Schmidt or Captain I Randal Bittinger,
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department, 703-246-3801 and TTY: 711.
Duty PIO (Weekends/After-hours): 703-877-3702
Fairfax County is committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of disability in all county programs,
services and activities. Reasonable accommodations will be provided upon request.
4100 Chain Bridge Road
Fairfax, VA 22030