Discarded Smoking Materials Cause Annandale Fire
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department
News Release 12-84
Date: October 29, 2012
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department units responded to a house fire, Sunday, October 28, 2012, at approximately 11:10 p.m., in the Annandale area of Fairfax County. The single family home is located at 8407 Tobin Road.
Firefighters encountered heavy smoke and fire from the rear of the two-story home upon arrival. The fire spread rapidly up the exterior of the home and onto the deck, second floor, and attic. Firefighters brought the fire under control in approximately 15 minutes. Smoke alarms activated when the fire broke out. Eight adults have been displaced. Red Cross is assisting the occupants. One adult was transported to INOVA Fairfax Hospital for non-life threatening injuries.
Damage is estimated at 150,000.
According to fire investigators, the fire was accidental. Improperly discarded smoking materials caused the fire.
Discarded Smoking Materials Safety Tips
- Completely douse butts and ashes with water before throwing them away as they can smolder and cause a fire.
- Never smoke in bed.
- Provide large, deep ashtrays with a center support for smokers. Check furniture for any dropped ashes before going to bed. Empty ashes into a fireproof container with water and sand.
- Keep smoking materials away from anything that can burn (i.e., mattresses, bedding, upholstered furniture, draperies, etc.).
- Never smoke in a home where oxygen is being used.
- If you smoke, choose fire-safe cigarettes. They are less likely to cause fires.
- To prevent a deadly cigarette fire, you must be alert. You won’t be if you are sleepy, have been drinking, or have taken medicine or other drugs.
- Keep matches and lighters up high, out of children's sight and reach.
For more information, call Daniel L. Schmidt or Captain I Randal Bittinger,
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department, 703-246-3801 and TTY: 711.
Duty PIO (Weekends/After-hours): 703-877-3702
Fairfax County is committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of disability in all county programs,
services and activities. Reasonable accommodations will be provided upon request.
4100 Chain Bridge Road
Fairfax, VA 22030