Hazardous Materials Technical Support Branch
The Hazardous Materials Technical Support Branch is responsible for the following programs and services within Fairfax County and the towns of Clifton, Herndon, and Vienna.
- Monitoring of Long-Term Hazardous Materials Remediation Sites
- Significant Hazards Surveillance Program
- Blasting & Explosives Enforcement
- Motor Carrier Safety Inspections for Explosives Transportation Vehicles
- Hazardous Materials Pipeline Monitoring. Staff acts as the Fire & Rescue Department's liaison with the major hazardous liquids and natural gas pipeline transmission companies having pipelines traversing Fairfax County.
- Hazardous Materials Site Technical Inspection Programs
- Hazardous Materials Emergency Response and Contingency Planning Program
- Responsible for maintaining and administering hazardous materials contracts for the purpose of emergency response, analysis, site cleanup, and chemical disposal.
- Provides staff support to the Fairfax Joint Local Emergency Planning Committee (FJLEPC).
The branch also maintains and operates the fire and hazardous materials mobile investigations lab (LAB 401)
RELEVANT LINKS & PUBLICATIONS
- Permit Application - Fire Prevention Code Permit, Explosives Only (PDF)
- EPA Tier II Reporting Instructions (PDF)
- EPA Tier II Reporting Form (PDF)
- FJLEPC Online Tier II Reporting System
- Household Hazardous Waste