Fire Marshal Plans Review Walk-Through Program
SCOPE OF PROGRAM
Effective the week of December 1, 2014, changes to the plans review walk-through program will take effect. Wednesday will be added to the program days of operation. Also, only 12 submissions total, per walk-through day will be accepted.
The plans review walk-through program applies to only the following:
- Tenant Sprinkler Plans
- Temporary Tent Permit Applications & Plans
Note: No other types of plans are accepted for walk-through review.
DAYS & HOURS OF OPERATION
- Only Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday of each week (excluding holidays)
- Morning - 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. (noon)
- Afternoon - 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.
GUIDELINES & RESTRICTIONS
- Plans will be processed in the order received.
- No more than 3 walk-through plans per day will be accepted from any given sprinkler firm.
- No more than 4 walk-through plans per day will be accepted from any plans runner firm.
- A maximum of 12 submissions total, per walk-through day will be accepted.
- The walk-through submitter must wait in the lobby area while the plan is being reviewed. If the walk-through submitter chooses to be elsewhere and questions arise about the plan, the plan may be set aside since the questions will not be able to be answered.
- Actual review time will not necessarily be less than 1 hour, depending on the complexity of the plan. If plan information is incomplete, or if existing records are incomplete or inconclusive, review may take longer.
- Please make every effort to provide the correct address, including floor and suite number, in order for the review to proceed expeditiously.
Tenant Sprinkler Plans:
- Tenant space must be 4500 square feet or less.
- Tenant sprinkler plans cannot require calculations. If it is in the remote area or otherwise requires calculations, it cannot be treated as a walk-through.
- Preaction, Dry Pipe, and Limited Area sprinkler systems all require calculations and cannot be reviewed during a walk-through.
- Tenant sprinkler plans received after 3:00 p.m. may not be processed until the next morning beginning at 8:00 a.m. Note: Same day review is not guaranteed.
Temporary Tent Permit Applications & Plans:
- Consult the following code compliance guideline for permit application and plan submittal requirements - Temporary Tents (PDF)
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department
Office of the Fire Marshal
10700 Page Avenue
Fairfax, Virginia 22030
Fire Marshal Announcements