Fire Marshal Plans Review Walk-Through Program
SCOPE OF PROGRAM
Effective the week of October 29, 2012, Wednesday will no longer be included in the walk-through program due to heavy plans review volume. We regret any inconvenience, but staffing levels do not permit more than two days per week for this program.
The plans review walk-through program applies to only the following:
- Tenant Sprinkler Plans
- Temporary Tent Permit Applications & Plans
Note: No other types of plans are accepted for walk-through review.
DAYS & HOURS OF OPERATION
- Only Tuesday and Thursday of each week (excluding holidays)
- Morning - 8:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- Afternoon - 12:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
GUIDELINES & RESTRICTIONS
- Plans will be processed in the order received.
- No more than 3 walk-through plans per day will be accepted from any given sprinkler firm.
- A maximum of 12 submissions total, per day will be accepted.
- No more than 4 walk-through plans per day will be accepted from any plans runner firm.
- The walk-through submitter must wait on in the lobby area while the plan is being reviewed. If the walk-through submitter chooses to be elsewhere and questions arise about the plan, the plan may be set aside since the questions will not be able to be answered.
- Actual review time will not necessarily be less than 1 hour, depending on the complexity of the plan. If plan information is incomplete, or if existing records are incomplete or inconclusive, review may take longer.
- Please make every effort to provide the correct address, including floor and suite number, in order for the review to proceed expeditiously.
Tenant Sprinkler Plans:
- Tenant space must be 4500 square feet or less.
- Tenant sprinkler plans cannot require calculations. If it is in the remote area or otherwise requires calculations, it cannot be treated as a walk-through.
- Preaction, Dry Pipe, and Limited Area sprinkler systems all require calculations and cannot be reviewed during a walk-through.
- Tenant sprinkler plans received after 3:00 p.m. may not be processed until the next morning beginning at 8:00 a.m. Note: Same day review is not guaranteed.
Temporary Tent Permit Applications & Plans:
- Consult the following code compliance guideline for permit application and plan submittal requirements - Temporary Tents (PDF)
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department
Office of the Fire Marshal
10700 Page Avenue
Fairfax, Virginia 22030
Fire Marshal Announcements