Private Schools, Childcare Centers and Other Businesses Regulated by the Health Department
A number of facilities and businesses are required to obtain a permit or an inspection from the Health Department before opening or renewing a permit. These are annually renewing permits and are not transferable to a new owner.
The Health Department conducts inspections and complaint investigations for general sanitation, infestations and health/safety hazards for these businesses and other facilities listed below, which are permitted or inspected by the Health Department. Members of the public who have concerns about the cleanliness and/or safety of a facility or business in the Fairfax community, may submit a complaint here.
Private School, Nursery School and Childcare Center
The vast majority of private schools, nursery schools and childcare centers, as well as all home child care facilities, are permitted and inspected by other agencies. Please visit the Office for Children for more information.
The Health Department does permit and inspect any place, home, facility or institution that meet all three of the criteria below:
- Is specifically exempt from the Commonwealth of Virginia Child Care regulations 63.2-1716 or 63.2-1717 AND
- Is for the purposes of providing care, education, and guidance AND
- Receives on a regular basis, for any periods of more than one hour but less than twenty-four hours, one or more children, under the age of five, who are not attended by a parent, guardian or person with legal custody.
- Permit renewal annual deadline: Sept 30
- Initial application fee: $220
- Renewal fee: $190
- Late renewal fee: $255
- Read the Code: Chapter 30, Fairfax County, Virginia Code of Ordinances
Definition: Any place, shop or establishment where the practice of puncturing the skin with a needle to insert indelible colors so as to leave permanent marks or designs.
- Permit renewal annual deadline: January 1
- Fee: None
- Read the Code: Chapter 35, Fairfax County, Virginia, Code of Ordinances
Definition: Any fixed place of business where a massage is administered to a client, unless the place is excluded from regulation. Massage means the treatment, for compensation, of soft tissues for therapeutic purposes by the application of massage and bodywork techniques based on the manipulation or application of pressure to the muscular structure or soft tissues of the human body.
- Massage Establishments are permitted by the Fairfax County Department of Cable and Consumer Services, although the health department does inspect these businesses.
Other Facilities and Businesses
When another Commonwealth of Virginia agency requires a facility or businesses to obtain an inspection from the Health Department, please contact 703-246-2444 for scheduling. These facilities and businesses may include, but are not limited to:
- Adult Day Care Center
- Assisted Living Facility
- Family Day Home
- Child Day Center
- Children's Residential Facility
- Certified Preschool or Nursery School Program
- Independent Foster Home
- Probationary Home
- Residential Adult Care Home